Characteristics of pistachio kernel oils from Iranian cultivars
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ten pistachio samples from various Iranian cultivars were examined for some botanical features of their nuts and oil characteristics of their kernels. The wt of 100 nuts varied from 78.5 to 136.9 g. The nuts contained 44.1–58.9% kernel. Moisture of the kernels was low, 2.5–4.1%, and the kernels contained 55.2–60.5% oil. Unsaponifiable matter (0.72–0.96%), saponification value (189.0–193.6), refractive index (1.4635–1.4643), and iodine value (98.1–100.5) showed little differences in various samples. Fatty acids detectable by gas chromatographic analysis were: traces of myristic; 9.2–13.4%, palmitic; 0.5–1.1%, stearic; traces of arachidic; 0.5–1.0%; palmitoleic; 56.1–64.0%, oleic; 22.6–31.0%, linoleic; and 0.1–0.4%, linolenic. There were no significant differences due to origin and/or cultivar of the samples.
- “Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists’ Society,” Vol. I and II, Second Edition, AOCS, Champaign, IL, 1964 (revised to 1972), Table I, 1–46.
- Eckey, E.W., “Vegetable Fats and Oils,” Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York, NY, 1954, p. 616.
- Kaufmann, H.P., “Technologie der Fette,” Aschendorffsche Verlagsbuchhandlung, Münster, West Germany, 1968, Table 20.
- Wissbach, H., in “Handbuch der Lebensmittelchemie,” 4 Band (Lipids), Edited by L. Acker, et al., Springer Verlag, Berlin, West Germany, 1969, p. 56.
- Hilditch, T.P., and P.N. Williams, “The Chemical Constitution of Natural Fats,” Fourth Edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, NY, 1964, p. 269.
- Dhingra, D.R., and T.P. Hilditch, J. Soc. Chem. Ind. 50:9T (1931).
- Yazicioglu, T., Fette Seifen 52:6 (1950). CrossRef
- Danechrad, A., Oleagineux 29:153 (1974).
- “Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists’ Society,” Second Edition, AOCS, Champaign, IL, 1964 (revised to 1972), Method Ca-6b-53.
- Ibid., Method Cd-3-35.
- “Official Methods of Analysis,” Association of Official Analytical Chemsits, 11th Edition, AOAC, Washington, DC, 1970, Method 28.019.
- Ibid., 10th Edition, 1965, Method 26.052a.
- McNair, H.M., and E.J. Bonelli, “Basic Gas Chromatography,” 5th Edition, Varian Aerograph, Walnut Creek, CA, 1969, p. 139.
- Characteristics of pistachio kernel oils from Iranian cultivars
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 52, Issue 12 , pp 512-513
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors