Long term storage of soybean and cottonseed salad oils
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Commercially prepared and packaged soybean and cottonseed salad oils from several different processors were evaluated periodically during storage for 12 months. Partially hydrogenated and winterized soybean oils, as well as unhydrogenated soybean salad oils, were stored in bottles and cans at 78 and 100 F. Control samples of all oils were held at 0 F during the entire test. Some lots in bottles and cans were packaged under nitrogen to improve storage stability. Agreement was good between organoleptic and oxidative evaluation of aged oils. After 26 weeks of storage at 100 F, the flavor of partially hydrogenated-winterized oils packaged under nitrogen showed a minimum loss. These same oils did not exhibit much, if any, reduction in their oxidative stability as indicated by storage peroxide values (active oxygen method). Soybean oil not protected with nitrogen demonstrated progressive flavor deterioration at 100 F. After 10 weeks of storage, the deterioration became marked and the flavor score was below 5. From limited observations, bottled oils appear to have a better stability than oils packaged in screw-cap tin cans. Hydrogenated oils packaged under nitrogen in cans had good oxidative stability, but some lowering of the flavor score was observed. Nonhydrogenated soybean oils packaged in tin cans not under nitrogen exhibited the most rapid flavor deterioration of all lots of oil investigated.
- Cowan, J.C., H.A., Moser, G.R., List and C.D., Evans, JAOCS 48:835 (1971). CrossRef
- Kromer, G.W., “Fats and Oils Situation,” Issue 257, April 1971, p. 23.
- Federal Specification, Salad Oil, Vegetable JJJ-S-30F, April 7, 1972.
- Moser, H.A., H.J., Dutton, C.D. Evans and J.C. Cowan, Food Technol. 4:105 (1950).
- Wheeler, D.H., Oil Soap 9:89 (1932). CrossRef
- “Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists Society,” Third edition, Vol. 1, AOCS, Champaign, Ill., 1964, Method Cd 12-57.
- Evans, C.D., and E. Selke, JAOCS 49:106 (1972). CrossRef
- Dutton, H.J., A.W. Schwab, H.A. Moser and J.C. Cowan Ibid. 25:385 (1948). CrossRef
- Long term storage of soybean and cottonseed salad oils
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 50, Issue 6 , pp 218-222
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors