Sperm whale oil analysis by gas chromatography and mass spectrometry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Gas liquid chromatography of winterized sperm oil showed that its wax esters with even carbon numbers range from C24 to C42 and are present in quantities resembling a normal distribution curve with C34 as the mean. Between these even-numbered wax esters, ones with odd chain lengths were eluted. Triglycerides, similarly present in a normal distribution pattern, ranged from C42 to C58 and also included traces of odd chain species. The component acids and alcohols were analyzed by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry, and double bond positions in the monoenoid components were established. Branched chain and odd chain constituents, both saturated and unsaturated, were detected among both alcohols and acids. These moieties, when combined with those having even chains, are responsible for the wax esters and triglycerides with odd carbon numbers.
- Kromer, G.W., “Fats and Oils Situation,” USDA, FOS-258, June 1971, p. 13.
- Hansen, J.A., and C.C. Cheah, Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 31:757 (1969). CrossRef
- Challinor, C.J., R.J. Hamilton and K. Simpson, Chem. Phys. Lipids 3:145 (1969). CrossRef
- Barr, I.G., R.J. Hamilton and K. Simpson, Chem. Ind. (London) 1970:988.
- Streibl, M., and K. Stransky, Fette, Seifen, Anstrichm. 72:856 (1970). CrossRef
- Streibl, M., J. Jirousova and K. Stransky, Ibid., 73:301 (1971). CrossRef
- Chem. Week 95(1):27 (1964). 0132 0246 V 2
- Miwa, T.K., JAOCS 48:259 (1971). CrossRef
- Kleiman, R., G.F. Spencer and F.R. Earle, Lipids 4:118 (1969). CrossRef
- Miwa, T.K., JAOCS 40:309 (1963).
- Miwa, T.K., K.L. Mikolajczak, F.R. Earle and I.A. Wolff, Anal. Chem. 32:1739 (1960). CrossRef
- Abley, P., F.J. McQuillon, D.E. Minnikin, K. Kusamron, K. Mashers and N. Polgar, Chem. Commun. 1970:348.
- Christensen, P.K., and R.A. Gehe, Acta Chem. Scand. 19:1153 (1965). CrossRef
- Ackman, R.G., J. Chromatogr. Sci. 10:243 (1972).
- Douglas, A.G., M. Blumer, G. Eglinton and K. Douraghi-Zadeh, Tetrahedron 27:1071 (1971). CrossRef
- Sano, Y., Yukagaku 16:56 (1967).
- Sano, Y.,Ibid. 16:8 (1967).
- Sano, Y., Ibid. 15:456 (1966).
- Spencer, G.F., R. Kleiman, R.W. Miller and F.R. Earle, Lipids 6:712 (1971). CrossRef
- Sano, Y., Yukagaku 16:605 (1967).
- Brown, H.C., and P. Geoghegan, J. Amer. Chem. Soc. 89:1522 (1967). CrossRef
- Ackman, R.G., L. Safe, S.N. Hooper, M. Paradis and S. Safe, Lipids 8:21 (1973). CrossRef
- McLafferty, F.W., and M.C. Hamming, Chem. Ind. 1958:1366.
- Naccarato, W.E., R.A. Gelman, J.C. Kawalek and J.R. Gilbertson, Lipids 7:275 (1972). CrossRef
- Hamilton, R.J., M. Long and M.Y. Raie, JAOCS 49:307 (1972). CrossRef
- Pryor, W.A., “Mechanisms of Sulfur Reactions,” McGraw-Hill. Inc., New York, 1962, Chapter 5.
- Gunstone, F.D., “An Introduction to the Chemistry of Fatty Acids and Their Glycerides,” Second edition., Chapman and Hall Ltd., London, 1967, p. 14,24.
- Sperm whale oil analysis by gas chromatography and mass spectrometry
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 50, Issue 6 , pp 202-206
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors