Hydrogenation of soybean oil with copper catalysts containing small amounts of nickel catalysts
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Reaction rates, linolenate/linoleate reaction selectivity,trans formation, and conjugated diene formation were determined for mixed commerical catalysts containing 0.5, 1, 2, 10, and 20 parts nickel catalyst (25% nickel) per 1000 parts copper chromite catalyst (ppt) and at catalyst concentrations in the oil of 1.0, 0.5, and 0.25%. The rate of hydrogenation increased as the amount of nickel increased. Addition of 0.5, 1, and 2 ppt nickel catalyst to copper chomite catalyst resulted in a small decrease in selectivity compared with straight copper chromite. When soybean oil was hydrogenated with these mixed catalysts sufficiently to reduce linolenate to 0, iodine values were 102–108 compared to 109–112 for straight copper chromite and to less than 80 for straight nickel.
- Moulton, K.J., R.E. Beal and E.L. Griffin, Jr., JAOCS, 48:499 (1971). CrossRef
- Cowan, J.C., C.D. Evans, H.A. Moser, G.R. List, S. Koritala, K.J. Moulton and H.J. Dutton, Ibid. 47:470 (1970). CrossRef
- Beal, R.E., K.J. Moulton, H. A. Moser and L.T. Black, Ibid. 46:498 (1969). CrossRef
- Koritala, S., Ibid. 47:106 (1970). CrossRef
- Evans, C.D., K. Warner, G.R. List and J.C. Cowan, Ibid. 49:578 (1972). CrossRef
- Toyama, Y., Final Report on Public Law 480, Project UR-A11-(40)-5. Sponsored by Northern Regional Research Laboratory, Peoria, III. (1967).
- Toyama, Y. Y. Katsumata and Y. Kondo, Ibid. Final Report on Public Law 480, Project UR-A11-(40)-5. Sponsored by Northern Regional Research Laboratory, Peoria, Ill. (1967).
- Swern, D., “Bailey's Industrial Oil and Fat Products,” Third edition, Interscience Publishers, New York, 1964, p. 845, 846.
- Paterson, W.J., U.S. Patent 2,357,352 (1944).
- Moulton, K.J., D.J. Moore and R.E. Beal, JAOCS 46:662 (1969). CrossRef
- Metcalfe, L.D., A.A. Schmitz and J.R. Pelka, Anal. Chem. 38:514 (1966). CrossRef
- “Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists' Society,” Vol. I and II. Third edition, AOCS, Champaign, Ill., 1964 (revised to 1970).
- Butterfield, R.O., E.D. Bitner C.R. Scholfied and H.J. Dutton, JAOCS 44:549 (1967).
- Beal, R.E., and E.B. Lancaster, Ibid. 31:619 (1954). CrossRef
- Koritala, S., and C.R. Scholfield, Ibid. 47:262 (1970). CrossRef
- Vigneron, P.Y., S. Koritala, R.O. Butterfield and H.J. Dutton, Ibid. 49:371 (1972). CrossRef
- Hydrogenation of soybean oil with copper catalysts containing small amounts of nickel catalysts
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 50, Issue 11 , pp 450-454
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors