Phase behavior of aqueous systems of monoglycerides
- E. S. Lutton
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Monoglyceride-H2O systems in the range above about 5% H2O exhibit a varied phase behavior with a number of mesomorphic states reminiscent of those found for soap-H2O systems. There are fluid neat, stiff and “short” viscous isotropic, and plastic or stringy middle states.
In the case of saturated monoglycerides, neat states prevail at low molecular weight as with monolaurin, but viscous isotropic and finally middle states appear at higher chain length as with monoarchidin and monobehenin.
The phase diagrams for systems of unsaturated compounds resemble those for systems of saturated compounds, with corresponding phase regions occurring at lower temperatures. The monoelaidin-H2O system closely resembles a shifted monostearin-H2O system, neither system showing middle. Middle phase appears in a small island for monoolein and monolinolein near 90C and 20% water.
Water dissolves negligible amounts of monoglycerides so that phases which are nearly 100% H2O exist for substantially all systems and conditions when H2O content is 60% or more.
- Vold, R. D., F. B. Rosevear and R. H. Ferguson, JAOCS16, 48 (1939).
- McBain, J. W., in “Colloid Chemistry,” edited by J. Alexander, Vol. 1, 1926, p. 137.
- Marsden, S. S. Jr., and J. W. McBain, J. Phys. Colloid Chem.52, 110 (1948). CrossRef
- Brokaw, G. Y., and W. C. Lyman, JAOCS35, 49 (1958). CrossRef
- Lawrence, A. S. C., A. Bingham, C. B. Capper and K. Hume, J. Phys. Chem.68, 3470 (1964).
- Brown, G. H., and W. G. Shaw, Chem. Rev.57, 1049 (1957). CrossRef
- Bailey, A. E., “Melting and Solidification of Fats,” Interscience Publishers, Inc., New York, 1950, p. 168.
- Rosevear, F. B., JAOCS31, 628 (1954). CrossRef
- Luzzati, V., H. Mustacchi and A. Skoulios, Disc. Far. Soc. No. 25, 43 (1958).
- Luzzati, V., H. Mustacchi and A. Skoulios, Nature180, 600 (1957). CrossRef
- Phase behavior of aqueous systems of monoglycerides
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 42, Issue 12 , pp 1068-1070
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- E. S. Lutton (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Procter & Gamble Company, Miami Valley Laboratories, Cincinnati, Ohio