Relationship of structure to properties of surfactants. 16. Linear decyldiphenylether sulfonates
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The properties of some well-characterized sodium linear decyldiphenylether (C10DPE)sulfonates have been studied. Among the properties investigated are dynamic and equilibrium surface tension, critical micelle concentration (CMC), area per molecule at the aqueous solution/air interface, wetting time by the Draves technique, foaming by the Ross-Miles method, solubilization, and hydrotropy. The decyldiphenylether moiety appears to be equivalent to a terminally substituted straight alkyl chain of 16 carbon atoms. The trialkyl- and dialkyl-mono-sulfonates have solubilities of < 0.01 g/dm3 in water, but are readily soluble in hexane. The didecyldiphenyl ether disulfonate (DADS) has a very low CMC value (1.0 × 10−5 mol dm−3) in aqueous 0.1 N Na+ solution (NaCl), characteristic of surfactants with two hydrophilic and two hydrophobic groups. It also has a much larger area per molecule at the aqueous solution/air interface than the monodecyldiphenyl-ether monosulfonate (MAMS) and a much higher surface tension at the CMC. MAMS has a much lower surface tension at a surface age of 1 second (γ1s) than either DADS or the monodecyldiphenylether disulfonate (MADS). In agreement with γ1s and γeq values, wetting times increase in the order: MAMS < DADS < MADS and initial foam heights decrease in the order: MAMS > DADS > MADS. Solubilization for three water-insoluble surfactants decreases in the order: DADS > MAMS > MADS, while hydrotropy is most pronounced with the disulfonates.
- Rosen, M.J.,J. Colloid Interface Sci. 79:587 (1981). CrossRef
- Rosen, M.J., Ibid.:587 (1982). CrossRef
- Hua, X.Y., and M.J. Rosen, Ibid.:652 (1988). CrossRef
- Draves, C.Z., and R.G. Clarkson,Amer. Dyest. Rep. 20:201 (1931).
- Ross, J., and G. Miles,Oil and Soap 18:99 (1941). CrossRef
- Dahanayake, M., A.W. Cohen and M.J. Rosen,J. Phys. Chem. 90:2413 (1986). CrossRef
- Zhu, Y-p., A. Masayuma and M. Okahara,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 67:459 (1990).
- Rosen, M.J., and X.Y. Hua,J. Colloid Interface Sci. 139:397 (1990). CrossRef
- Rosen, M.J., and J. Solash,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 46:399 (1969). CrossRef
- Friberg, S.E., and L. Rydhag,Tenside 7:2 (1970).
- Friberg, S.E., and L. Rydhag,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 48:113 (1971). CrossRef
- Relationship of structure to properties of surfactants. 16. Linear decyldiphenylether sulfonates
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 69, Issue 1 , pp 30-33
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Alkyldiphenylether sulfonates
- critical micelle concentration
- dynamic surface tension
- equilibrium surface tension
- solution/air interface
- Industry Sectors