Capillary gas chromatography-mass spectrometry of resin acids in tall oil rosin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The resin acid composition of Finnish tall oil rosin was investigated by gas chromatography and mass spectrometry employing open tubular capillary columns. On a column coated with 1,4-butanediol succinate, 16 resin acids found in tall oil rosin samples were well resolved, and mass spectra could be recorded. All resin acids were confirmed to be of the pimaric and abietic types by gas chromatographymass spectrometry. Eight of the acids were not detected in the corresponding crude tall oils and evidently had been formed during the technical distillation process. The presence of 8,15-pimaradien-18-oic and 8,15-isopimaradien-18-oic acids in the rosin, but not in the crude tall oil, indicates that the pimaric type acids also undergo extensive isomerization during tall oil distillation. Additionally, three dihydroabietic acids and two acids with identical mass spectra, tentatively stereoisomers of 7,9(11)-abietadien-18-oic acid, were formed during the distillation process.
- Holmbom, B., Avela, E. (1971) Acta Acad. Aboensis B 31: pp. 1-1
- Lawrence, R.V. (1962) Tappi 45: pp. 654-654
- Joye, N.M., Lawrence, R.V. (1967) J. Chem. Eng. Data 12: pp. 279-279 CrossRef
- Hudy, J.A. (1959) Anal. Chem. 31: pp. 1754-1754 CrossRef
- Pensar, G., Bruun, H.H. (1964) Acta Acad. Aboensis B 24: pp. 1-1
- Bruun, H.H., Pensar, G. (1965) Acta Chem. Scand. 19: pp. 531-531 CrossRef
- Nestler, F.H.M., Zinkel, D.F. (1967) Anal. Chem. 39: pp. 1118-1118 CrossRef
- Zinkel, D.F., Zank, L.C., Wesolowski, M.F. (1971) Diterpene Resin Acids. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, Wis.
- Bruun, H.H., Gåsland, S. (1960) Acta Acad. Aboensis Math. Phys. 22: pp. 24-24
- Chang, T-L., Mead, T.E., Zinkel, D.F. (1971) JAOCS 48: pp. 455-455 CrossRef
- Sandermann, E., Weissman, G. (1965) Farbe und Lack 71: pp. 713-713
- Hansson, J.C., Kulkarni, M.V. (1972) Anal. Chem. 44: pp. 1586-1586 CrossRef
- Testing Method of Scandinavian Pulp, Paper and Board Testing Committee, Method SCAN-T 11:72, Svansk Papperstidn. 75: 217 (1972).
- Testing Method of Scandinavian Pulp, Paper and Board Testing Committee, Method SCAN-T 12:72, Ibid. Svansk Papperstidn. 75:243 (1972).
- Herrlinger, R., Compeau, G.M. (1952) JAOCS 29: pp. 342-342 CrossRef
- Pekkala, S., Holmbom, B., Avela, E. (1974) Kemia-Kemi 1: pp. 25-25
- Rowe, J.W. eds. (1969) The Common and Systematic Nomenclature of Cyclic Diterpenes. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, Wis.
- Anderson, A.B., Riffer, R., Wong, A. (1970) Holzforschung 24: pp. 182-182 CrossRef
- Zinkel, D.F., Rowe, J.W., Zank, L.C., Gaddie, D.W., Ruckel, E.R. (1969) JAOCS 46: pp. 634-634 CrossRef
- Burgstahler, A.W., Marx, J.N., Zinkel, D.F. (1969) J. Org. Chem. 34: pp. 1550-1550 CrossRef
- Huffman, J.W., Alford, J.A., Sobti, R.R. (1970) J. Org. Chem. 35: pp. 473-473 CrossRef
- Herz, W., White, D.H. (1974) J. Org. Chem. 39: pp. 1-1 CrossRef
- Capillary gas chromatography-mass spectrometry of resin acids in tall oil rosin
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 51, Issue 9 , pp 397-400
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors