Effect of randomization on the oxidation of corn oil
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Randomized corn oil and corn oil methyl esters both oxidized three to four times faster than natural corn oil. The difference in rate could not be attributed to pro- or antioxidants. Thin layer chromatography of the oxidized oils and methyl esters after reduction with hydrogen iodide revealed two bands moving slower than the original esters. One was shown to be a mixture of scission products; the other was monohydroxy-triglyceride. There was three times more scission products from randomized than natural corn oil. Glyceride structure seems not to affect the rate of oxidation of triglycerides by altering substrate availability. The difference in yield of scission products suggests that glyceride structure may affect the rate of initiation.
- Sahasrabudhe, M.R., and I.G. Farn, JAOCS 41:264 (1964).
- Raghuveer, K.G., and E.G. Hammond, Ibid. 44:239 (1967).
- Hoffmann, G., J.B.A. Stronik, R.G. Polman and C.W. Van Ossten, Zesz. Probl. Postepow Nauk Roln. 146:93 (1973).
- Catalino, M., M. De Felice and V. Sciancalipore, Ind. Aliment. 14:89 (1975).
- Fatemi, S.H., and E.G. Hammond, Lipids 15:379 (1980). CrossRef
- Jensen, R.G., T.A. Marks, J. Sampugna, J.G. Quinn and D.L. Carpenter, Ibid. 1:451 (1966). CrossRef
- Meijboom, P.W., and G.A. Jongenotter, JAOCS 56:33 (1979).
- Hamm, D.L., E.G. Hammond, V. Parvanah and H.E. Snyder, Ibid. 42:920 (1965).
- Quinn, J.G., J. Sampugna and R.G. Jensen, Ibid. 44:439 (1967).
- Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, American Oil Chemists’ Society, Champaign, IL, 1980, Method Cd 13–60.
- Luddy, F.E., R.A. Barford, S.F. Herb, P. Magidman and R.W. Riemenschneider, JAOCS 41:693 (1964).
- Specifications and Criteria for Biochemical Compounds, 3rd ed. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, 1972, p. 121.
- Uri, N., Autoxidation and Antioxidants, Vol. 1, edited by W.O. Lundberg, Interscience, New York, NY, 1961.
- EPA/NIH Mass Spectral Data Base, National Bureau of Standards, Washington, DC, 1980.
- Wong, D.S., and E.G. Hammond, Lipids 12:475 (1977). CrossRef
- de la Roche, I.A., E.J. Weber and D.E. Alexander, Ibid. 6:631 (1971).
- Effect of randomization on the oxidation of corn oil
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 59, Issue 10 , pp 407-411
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors