Serum and insulin inhibit cell death induced by cycloheximide in the human breast cancer cell line MCF-7
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Continuous exposure of cells to cycloheximide (CHM) terminates in cell death. This may result from CHM’s inhibition of protein synthesis. In the present study we investigated the effect of serum and insulin on cell death induced by CHM in the human breast cancer cell line MCF-7, and correlated this effect to the inhibition of protein synthesis. Cell death was evaluated by measuring either dead cells by the trypan blue dye exclusion test or by the release of lactic dehydrogenase into the culture medium. CHM (0.1 to 50 µg/ml) was shown to induce cell death in a time- and concentration-dependent manner. Including either fetal bovine serum or insulin in the culture medium inhibited this cell death in a concentration-dependent manner. Protein synthesis as measured by [3H]leucine incorporation was inhibited by the increasing concentration of CHM, However, fetal bovine serum and insulin did not alter the protein synthesis inhibition rate induced by CHM. These results indicate that inhibition of protein synthesis is not enough for cell death to proceed. Insulin or factors present in serum may stabilize some crucial cell proteins (key enzymes, cytoskeletal or membrane components) which are vital for cell life.
- Barnes, D. M. Cells without growth factors commit suicide. Science 242:1510–1511; 1988. CrossRef
- Barnes, D.; Sato, G. Methods for growth of cultured cells in serum-free medium. Anal. Biochem. 102:255–270; 1980. CrossRef
- Berthois, Y.; Katzenellenbogen, J. A.; Katzenellenbogen, B. S. Phenol red in tissue culture media is a weak estrogen: implications concerning the study of estrogen-responsive cells in culture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 83:2496–2500; 1986. CrossRef
- Burton, K. H. A study of the conditions and mechanism of diphenylamine reaction for the colorimetric estimation of deoxyribonucleaic acid. Biochem. J. 62:315–323; 1956.
- Dickson, R. B.; Lippman, M. E. Estrogenic regulation of growth and polypeptide growth factor secretion in human breast carcinoma. Endocrinol. Rev. 8:29–43; 1987.
- Duke, R. C.; Chervenak, R.; Cohen, J. J. Endogenous endoculcease-induced DNA fragmentation: an early event in cell mediated cytolysis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 80:6361–6365; 1983. CrossRef
- Furlanetto, R. W.; DiCarlo, J. N. Somatomedin-C receptors and growth effects in human breast cells maintained in long-term tissue culture. Cancer Res. 44:2122–2128; 1984.
- Goldfine, I. D. The insulin receptor: molecular biology and transmembrane signaling. Endocrinol. Rev. 8:235–255; 1987.
- Goustin, A. S.; Leaf, E. B.; Shipley, G. D., et al. Growth factors and cancer. Cancer Res. 46:1015–1029; 1986.
- Martin, D. P.; Schmidt, R. E.; DiStefano, P. S., et al. Inhibitors of protein synthesis and RNA synthesis prevent neuronal death caused by nerve growth factor deprivation. J. Cell Biol. 106:829–844; 1988. CrossRef
- Martin, S. J.; Lennon, S. V.; Bonham, A. M., et al. Induction of apoptosis (programmed cell death) in human leukemic HL-60 cells by inhibition of RNA or protein synthesis. J. Immunol. 145:1859–1867; 1990.
- Osborne, C. K.; Bolan, G.; Monaco, M. E., et al. Hormone responsive human breast cancer in long-term tissue culture: effect of insulin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 73:4536–4540; 1976. CrossRef
- Osborne, C. K.; Monaco, M. E.; Lippman, M. E., et al. Correlation among insulin binding, degradation and biological activity in human breast cancer cells in long-term tissue culture. Cancer Res. 38:94–102; 1978.
- Price, D. J.; Nemenoff, R. A.; Avruch, J. Purification of a hepatic S6 kinase from cycloheximide-treated rats. J. Biol. Chem. 264:13825–13833; 1989.
- Ringold, G. M.; Dieckmann, B.; Vannice, J. L., et al. Inhibition of protein synthesis stimulates the transcription of human-interferon genes in Chinese hamster ovary cells. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 81:3964–3968; 1984. CrossRef
- Rivett, J. Intracellular protein degradation. Essays Biochem. 25:39–81; 1990.
- Rossow, P. W.; Riddle, V. G. H.; Pardee, A. B. Synthesis of labile, serum-dependent protein in early G1 controls animal cell growth. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 76:4446–4450; 1979. CrossRef
- Saile, H. D.; Vazquez, J.; Lang, A., et al. A human cell line from a pleural effusion derived from a breast carcinoma. JNCI 51:1409–1413; 1973.
- Scher, C. D.; Young, S. A.; Locatell, K. L. Control of cytolysis of Balb/c:3T3 cells by platelet-derived growth factor: a model system for analyzing cell death. J. Cell Physiol. 113:211–218; 1982. CrossRef
- Searle, J.; Lawson, T. A.; Abbott, P. J., et al. an electron-microscope study of the mode of cell death by cancer-chemotherapeutic agents in populations of proliferating normal and neoplastic cells. J. Pathol. 116:129–138; 1975. CrossRef
- Seglen, P. O. Inhibitors of lysosomal function. Methods Enzymol. 96:737–764; 1983. CrossRef
- Sellins, K. S.; Cohen, J. J. Gene induction by ✓-irradiation leads to DNA fragmentation in lymphocytes. J. Immunol. 139:3199–3206; 1987.
- Sorrentino, V.; Battistini, A.; Curatola, A. M., et al. Induction and/or selective retention of proteins in mammalian cells exposed to cycloheximide. J. Cell Physiol. 125:313–318; 1985. CrossRef
- Straus, D. S. Growth-stimulating actions of insulin in vitro and in vivo. Endocrinol. Rev. 5:356–369; 1984. CrossRef
- Tamm, I.; Kikuchi, T. Insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1), insulin, and epidermal growth factor (EGF) are survival factors for density-inhibited, quiescent Balb/c-3T3 murine fibroblasts. J. Cell Physiol. 143:494–500; 1990. CrossRef
- Williams, G. T.; Smith, C. A.; Spooncer, E., et al. Haemopoietic colony stimulating factors promote cell survival by suppressing apoptosis. Nature 343:76–79; 1990. CrossRef
- Wyllie, A. H.; Morris, R. G.; Smith, A. L., et al. Chromatin cleavage in apoptosis: association with condensed chromatin morphology and dependence on macromolecular synthesis. J. Pathol. 142:67–77; 1984. CrossRef
- Serum and insulin inhibit cell death induced by cycloheximide in the human breast cancer cell line MCF-7
In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology - Animal
Volume 28, Issue 6 , pp 415-418
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- cell death
- Industry Sectors