Hydrogenation of alkali-conjugated linoleate: Isomeric monoene profiles obtained with nickel, palladium and platinum catalysts
- Sambasi Varao Koritala
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Alkali-conjugated linoleate (cis-9,trans-11- andtrans-10,cis-12-octadecadienoate) was hydrogenated with nickel, palladium and platinum catalysts. Thetrans andcis monoenes formed during reduction were isolated, and their double bond distribution was determined by reductive ozonolysis and gas liquid chromatography. About 44–69% of the monoenes were composed of δ10 and δ11 trans monoene isomers, whereas the δ9 and δ12 cis monoenes amounted to 20–26%. With nickel catalyst, composition of monoene isomers remained the same, even when the hydrogenation temperature was increased. The monoene isomer profiles between nickel and palladium catalysts were indistinguishable. Isomerization of monoenes with platinum catalyst was suppressed at 80 psi. The position of the double bonds in unreacted conjugated diene was always retained, except with nickel at both temperatures and with platinum at 150 C when a slight migration occurred. Geometrical isomerization totrans,trans-conjugated diene was observed in the unreacted diene with nickel (ca. 15% of diene) at both 100 C and 195 C, and with platinum (ca. 7% of diene) at 150 C.
- Hilditch, T.P., Nature 157:586 (1946).
- Feuge, R.O., E.R. Cousins, S.P. Fore, E.F. Dupre and R.T. O’Connor, JAOCS 30:454 (1953).
- Allen, R.R., and A.A. Kiess, Ibid. 33:355 (1956).
- Coenen, J.W.E., and H. Boerma, Fette Siefen Anstrichm. 70:8 (1968). CrossRef
- Radin, N.S., A.K. Hajra and Y. Akari, J. Lipid Res. 1:250 (1960).
- Stein, R.A., and N. Nicolaides, Ibid. 3:476 (1962).
- Johnston, A.E., D. Macmillan, H.J. Dutton and J.C. Cowan, JAOCS 39:273 (1962).
- Hirsch, J., Colloq. Int. Centre Nat. Rech. Sci. (Paris) 99:11 (1961).
- Emken, E.A., C.R. Scholfield and H.J. Dutton, JAOCS 41:388 (1964).
- Scholfield, C.R., T.L. Mounts, R.O. Butterfield and H.J. Dutton, Ibid. 48:237 (1971).
- Dutton, H.J., C.R. Scholfield, E. Selke and W.K. Rohwedder, J. Catal. 10:316 (1968). CrossRef
- Koritala, S., E. Selke and H.J. Dutton, Presented at AOCS Meeting, Ottawa, Canada, September 1972.
- Hydrogenation of alkali-conjugated linoleate: Isomeric monoene profiles obtained with nickel, palladium and platinum catalysts
Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society
Volume 50, Issue 4 , pp 110-111
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Northern Regional Research Laboratory, 61604, Peoria, Illinois