Differential stabilization of cytochrome P-450 isoenzymes in primary cultures of adult rat liver parenchymal cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cytochrome P-450 dependent hydroxylation of testosterone was measured in 7-day-old cultures of primary rat liver parenchymal cells. Determinations were carried out in monocultures of parenchymal cells and co-cultures of parenchymal cells with rat liver nonparenchymal epithelial cells, or mouse embryo fibroblasts.
In the monoculture system, testosterone metabolism was drastically reduced and hardly measurable after 7 days in culture. In the co-culture systems, individual P-450 isoenzymes were stabilized on different levels. P-450sp and presumablyc were well preserved, P-450a was reduced but clearly measurable, P-450h was totally lost whereas P-450sb ande were not measurable after 7 days (the activities of these isoenzymes however were already low in freshly isolated parenchymal cells). The results were independent of the cell line used for co-cultivation and of the method of parenchymal cell isolation, that is whether collagenase or EDTA was used as the agent for dissociating the cells from the liver. The results showed that the co-cultivation of liver parenchymal cells with other nonparenchymal cells significantly improved the differentiated status of the former. In this cell culture system however, not every parameter was equally well stabilized.
- Begue, J. M.; Guguen-Guillouzo, C.; Pasdeloup, N., et al. Prolonged maintenance of active cytochrome P-450 in adult rat hepatocytes co-cultured with another liver cell type. Hepatology 4:830–842; 1984. CrossRef
- Donato, M. T.; Gómez-Lechón, M. J.; Castell, J. V. Drug metabolizing enzymes in rat hepatocytes co-cultured with cell lines. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 26:1057–1062; 1990. CrossRef
- Engelmann, G. L.; Staecker, J. L.; Richardson, A. G. Effect of sodium butyrate on primary cultures of adult rat hepatocytes. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 23:86–92; 1986. CrossRef
- Guguen-Guillouzo, C.; Clément, B.; Baffet, G., et al. Maintenance and reversibility of active albumine secretion by adult rat hepatocytes co-cultured with another liver epithelial cell type. Exp. Cell Res. 143:47–54; 1983. CrossRef
- Guzelian, P. S.; Li, D.; Schuetz, E. G., et al. Sex change in cytochrome P-450 phenotype by growth hormone treatment of adult rat hepatocytes maintained in culture system on Matrigel. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 85:9783–9787; 1988. CrossRef
- Isom, C.; Secott, T.; Georgoff, I., et al. Maintenance of differentiated rat hepatocytes in primary culture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 82:3252–3256; 1985. CrossRef
- Jauregui, H. O.; McMillan, P. N.; Driscoll, J., et al. Attachment and long term survival of adult rat hepatocytes in primary monolayer cultures: comparison of different substrata and tissue culture media formulations. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 22:13–22; 1986. CrossRef
- Langenbach, R.; Malick, L.; Tompa, A., et al. Maintenance of adult rat hepatocytes on C3H/10T1/2 cells. Cancer Res. 39:3509–3514; 1979.
- Levin, W.; Thomas, P. E.; Reik, L. M., et al. Multiplicity and functional diversity of rat hepatic microsomal cytochrome P450 isozymes. In: Paton, W.; Mitchell, J.; Turner, P., eds. Proceedings of IUPHAR 9th international congress of pharmacology, vol. 3. London: MacMillan; 1984:203–209.
- Lowry, O. H.; Rosebrough, W. J.; Farr, A. L., et al. Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193:265–275; 1951.
- Maier, P. Development of in vitro toxicity tests with cultures of freshly isolated rat hepatocytes. Experientia 44:807–817; 1988. CrossRef
- Meredith, M. J. Rat hepatocytes prepared without collagenase: prolonged retention of differentiated characteristics in culture. Cell Biol. Toxicol. 4:405–425; 1988. CrossRef
- Michalopoulos, G.; Russel, F.; Biles, C. Primary cultures of hepatocytes on human fibroblasts. In Vitro 15:796–806; 1979. CrossRef
- Michalopoulos, G.; Sattler, C. A.; Sattler, G. L., et al. Cytochrome P-450 induction by phenobarbital and 3-methylcholanthrene in primary cultures of hepatocytes. Science 193:907–909; 1976. CrossRef
- Miyazaki, M.; Utsumi, K.; Sato, J. Mechanisms responsible for long-term survival of adult rat hepatocytes in the presence of phenobarbital in primary culture. Exp. Cell Res. 182:415–424; 1989. CrossRef
- Muakkassah-Kelly, S. F.; Bieri, F.; Waechter, F., et al. Long-term maintenance of hepatocytes in primary culture in the presence of DMSO: further characterization and effect of nafenopin, a peroxisome proliferator. Exp. Cell Res. 171:37–51; 1987. CrossRef
- Omura, T.; Sato, R. The carbon monoxide-binding pigment of liver microsomes. J. Biol. Chem. 239:2370–2385; 1964.
- Platt, K. L.; Molitor, E.; Döhmer, J., et al. Genetically engineered V79 Chinese hamster cell expression of purified cytochrome P-450IIB1 monooxygenase activity. J. Biochem. Toxicol. 4:1–6; 1989. CrossRef
- Rojkind, M.; Garmaitan, Z.; Mackensen, S., et al. Connective tissue biomatrix: its isolation and utilization for long term cultures of normal rat hepatocytes. J. Cell Biol. 87:255–263; 1980. CrossRef
- Sawada, N.; Tomomura, A.; Sattler, C. A., et al. Effects of extracellular matrix components on the growth and differentiation of cultured rat hepatocytes. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 23:267–273; 1987. CrossRef
- Seglen, P. O. Preparation of isolated liver cells. In: Prescott, D. M., ed. Methods in cell biology, vol. 13. New York: Academic Press; 1976:29–83.
- Schneider, W. C. Enzymatic activities of subcellular fractions. In: Sober, H. A.; Haute, R. A., eds. Handbook of biochemistry, 2 ed. Cleveland, OH: CRC Press; 1970.
- Sonderfan, A. J.; Arlotto, M. P.; Dutton, D. R., et al. Regulation of testosterone hydroxylation by rat liver microsomal cytochrome P-450. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 255:27–41; 1987. CrossRef
- Steward, A. R.; Dannan, G. A.; Guzelian, P. S., et al. Changes in the concentration of seven forms of cytochrome P-450 in primary culture of adult rat hepatocytes. Mol. Pharmacol. 27:125–132; 1984.
- Utesch, D.; Glatt, H.; Oesch, F. Rat hepatocyte-mediated bacterial mutagenicity in relation to the carcinogenic potency of benz(a)anthracene, benzo(a)pyrene, and twenty-five methylated derivatives. Cancer Res. 47:1509–1515; 1987.
- Vandenberghe, Y.; Ratanasavanh, D.; Glaise, D., et al. Influence of medium composition and culture conditions on glutathione S-transferase activity in adult rat hepatocytes during culture. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 24:281–288; 1988. CrossRef
- Wang, S. R.; Renaud, G.; Infante, J., et al. Isolation of rat hepatocytes with EDTA and their metabolic functions in primary culture. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. 21:526–530; 1985. CrossRef
- Williams, G. M.; Gunn, J. M. Long-term cell culture of adult rat liver epithelial cells. Exp. Cell Res. 89:139–142; 1974. CrossRef
- Differential stabilization of cytochrome P-450 isoenzymes in primary cultures of adult rat liver parenchymal cells
In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology - Animal
Volume 27, Issue 11 , pp 858-863
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- rat hepatocytes
- liver epithelial cells
- mouse embryo fibroblasts
- cytochrome P-450
- testosterone metabolism
- Industry Sectors