The chemical composition of depot fats in chickens and turkeys
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several chemical constants have been determined on the depot fats taken from four strains of chickens and four strains of turkeys. Similar analyses have been run on depot fat from cold storage turkey and on “commercial” samples of chicken and turkey fat obtained from the wholesale market.
There is no significant difference in the constants of fats from various breeds of chicken. The fats from various breeds of turkey are also similar.
Furthermore, there is no outstanding difference between the constants of turkey and chicken fats, though turkey fats tend to have higher fatty acid and acetyl values and lower iodine and thiocyanogen values, and a somewhat greater instability. Thus it is not easily possible to distinguish between turkey and chicken fats by the usual analytical procedures.
- Amthor, C. and Zink, J., Zeitschr. fur Anal. Chemie,36, 1 (1897).
- Ross, R. and Race, J., Analyst,36, 213 (1911). CrossRef
- Grossfeld, J., Zeitschr. Unters. Lebesm.,60, 64 (1930);62, 553 (1931). CrossRef
- Pritzker, J. and Jungkunz, R., Mitt. Lebensm. Hyg.,23, 139 (1932).
- Hilditch, T. P., Jones, E. C. and Rhead, A. J., Biochem. J.,28, 786 (1934).
- Brown, J. B. and Sheldon, C. C., J. Am. Chem. Soc.,56, 2149 (1934). CrossRef
- Carlin, J. A., Ann. Lab. Rept. Smith, Kline and French, (1906) page 50.
- Hepburn, J. S. and Katz, A. B., J. Franklin Inst.,203, 835 (1927). CrossRef
- Greenbank, G. R. and Holm, G. E., Ind. Eng. Chem.,26, 243 (1934). CrossRef
- A. O. A. C., Methods of Analysis, 4th ed., (1940).
- Lea, C. H., J. Soc. Chem. Ind.,52, 9T (1933).
- Jamieson, G. S., Vegetable Fats and Oils, page 345, A.C.S. Monograph No. 58, Chemical Catalog Co., New York (1932).
- Dean, N. K., Utilization of Fats, page 74, Chemical Publishing Co., Inc., New York (1938).
- West, E. S., Hoagland, C. L., and Curtis, G. H., J. Biol. Chem.,104, 627 (1934).
- The chemical composition of depot fats in chickens and turkeys
Oil & Soap
Volume 20, Issue 11 , pp 231-234
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors