Point blank against itself: Evidence and inference about guns, crime, and gun control
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This essay considers the empirical foundations for some of the more important and controversial conclusions concerning guns, crime, and gun control advanced in Gary Kleck’s highly influential treatise,Point Blank. We reveal significant flaws in his original data analyses and identify problematic linkages between his evidence and his inferences. We suggest alternative interpretations for some of Kleck’s findings.
- Ayers, B. D., Jr. (1994). Children frightened by gunfire plead with Congress for an end to violence.The New York Times Feb. 4: A 12.
- Bastian, L. D. (1993).Criminal Victimization 1992, U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Bulletin NCJ-144776, Washington, D.C.
- Bollen, K. (1989).Structural Equations with Latent Variables, John Wiley, New York.
- Bordua, D. J., and Lizotte, A. J. (1979). Patterns of legal firearms ownership: A cultural and situational analysis of Illinois counties.Law Policy Q. 1: 147–175.
- Cook, P. (1979). The effect of gun availability on robbery and robbery murder: A cross section study of 50 cities. In Haveman, R., and Zellner, B. B. (eds.),Policy Stud. Rev. Ann., Sage, Beverly Hills, CA.
- Cook, P. (1987). Robbery violence.J. Crim. Law Criminol. 78: 357–376. CrossRef
- Cook, P. (1991). The technology of personal violence. In Tonry, M. (ed.),Crime and Justice: A Review of Research, University of Chicago, Chicago.
- Cook, P. (1994). Review ofPoint Blank, N. Engl. J. Med. Feb. 3: 374–375. CrossRef
- Duggar, C. (1994). Youthful, impressionable and accused of murder.N.Y. Times May 17: A1, B6–B7.
- Duncan, O. D. (1975).Introduction to Structural-Equation Models, Academic Press, New York.
- Green, G. (1987). Citizen gun ownership and criminal deterrence.Criminology 25: 63–81. CrossRef
- Kleck, G. (1991).Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America, Aldine de Gruyter, New York.
- Kleck, G., and McElrath, K. (1991). The effects of weaponry on human violence.Soc. Forces 69: 669–692. CrossRef
- Kleck, G., and Patterson, E. B. (1993). The impact of gun control and gun ownership levels on violence rates.J. Quant. Criminol. 9: 249–287. CrossRef
- Kopel, D. B. (1992).The Samurai, the Mountie, and the Cowboy, Prometheus, Buffalo, NY.
- Kuhn, T. (1962).The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Long, J. S. (1983).Covariance Structure Models: An Introduction to LISREL, Sage, Beverly Hills, CA.
- Maguire, K., Patore, A. L., and Flanagan, T. J. (1993).Sourcebook of Criminal Justice Statistics 1992, U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics, Washington, D.C.
- McDowall, D., Lizotte, A. J., and Wiersema, B. (1991). General deterrence through civilian gun ownership: An evaluation of the quasi-experimental evidence.Criminology 29: 541–559. CrossRef
- Polsby, D. (1994). The false promise of gun control.Atlantic Monthly Mar.
- Rand, M. J. (1994).Guns and Crime. Crime Data Brief (April), Bureau of Justice Statistics, U.S. Department of Justice, Washington, D.C.
- Rindskopf, D. (1984). Structural equation models: Empirical identification, Heywood cases, and related problems.Sociol. Methods Res. 13: 109–120. CrossRef
- Sherman, L. (1993). Review ofPoint Blank, Criminologist 18: 15–16.
- Toothaker, L. E. (1993).Multiple Comparison Procedures. Sage, Newbury Park, CA.
- Wilson, J. Q. (1994). Just take away their guns.N.Y. Times Mag. Mar. 20: 47.
- Wright, J., and Rossi, P. (1986).The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons, Aldine, Hawthorne, NY.
- Zimring, F. (1968). Is gun control likely to reduce violent killings?Univ. Chicago Law Rev. 35: 721–737. CrossRef
- Point blank against itself: Evidence and inference about guns, crime, and gun control
Journal of Quantitative Criminology
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 391-410
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- gun control
- gun ownership
- Industry Sectors