The effect of oil films on water evaporation and oxygen content in sea water
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The paper covers some results of laboratory and nature experiments on studying the effect of oil films on water evaporation rate and oxygen concentration in sea water.
It is demonstrated that oil films on the sea surface reduce the rate of water evaporation by 15 to 33% due to diffusion resistance of oil film as well as energy resistance of monolayer of surface active substances at the film-water interface.
Large oil spots may cause, in areas oversaturated with oxygen, increase of oxygen concentration in sea water under the oil spot due to decrease of gas exchange rate at the sea-atmosphere interface.
- Butner, A.K.; Dubov, A.S. (eds.): Affect of polluted surface layer on exchange of heat, gas and water between ocean and atmosphere. Hydrometeoizdat (1985)
- Anikiev, V.V. et al.: Two dimensional model of nonuniform oil film on sea surface. Dokl. AN USSR 278,1, 213–219 (1984)
- Anikiev, V.V. et al.: Affect of oil films on meteo-parameters of near water atmosphere layer. In: Anikiev, V.V.; Mishukov, V.F. (eds.), A complex study of antropogenic ocean pollution problem. FISC AN USSR, p. 105–113, Vladivostock 1981.
- Anikiev, V.V. et al.: Affect of oil films on oxygen content in sea water. In: Anikiev, V.V.; Medjitov, R.D. (eds.), A study of Pacific coastal zone by quantitative methods. FISC AN USSR, p. 59–70, Vladivostock 1979.
- Belen'kiy, V.S.; Tkalin, A.V.: Oil water pollution in the North West Pacific. Meteorologiya i hydrologiya 12, 108–111 (1984)
- Deacon, E.L.: Gas transfer to and across on air-water interface. Tellus 29,4, 363–374 (1977) CrossRef
- Gilby, A.R.; Heyman, E.: The rate of evaporation of water through duplex films. Austral. J. Sci. Res. 1, 197–215 (1948)
- Ginsburg, A.I.; Feudorov, K.N.: Limit boundary Reley number at water cooling on free surface. Izv. AN USSR, ser. Physic of Atmosphere and Ocean 14,4, 433–436 (1978)
- Global oil pollution. Results of MAPMOPP. The IGOSS pilot project on marine pollution (petroleum) monitoring. Intergovernmental oceanographic commission (of UNESCO), Printed in Canada, 10 p., 1981.
- Pierson, F.W.; Jackman, A.P.: An investigation of the predictive ability of several evaporation equations. J. of Applied Meteorology 14, 477–487 (1975) CrossRef
- Ramm, V.M.: Absorption of gases. Chemistry, 655 p., Moscow 1976.
- La Mer, V.K. (ed.): Retardation of evaporation by monolayers: Transport process. Academic Press, 270 p., New York 1962.
- Sokolov, E.A. et al.: Affect of photochemical and bacterial oxidation on physico-chemical properties of hydrocarbon films on water surface and water evaporation rate. Dokl. AN USSR 281,4, 948–951 (1985)
- Sturodubtsev, E.G. et al.: Affect of small oil concentration on plankton. In: Anikiev, V.V.; Medjitov, R.D. (eds.), A study of Pacific coastal zone by quantitative methods. FISC AN USSR, p. 21–25, Vladivostock 1979.
- The effect of oil films on water evaporation and oxygen content in sea water
Volume 16, Issue 1 , pp 19-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links