Analysis of the cytotoxic effects of light-exposed hepes-containing culture medium
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The addition ofN-2-hydroxyethylpiperazine-N′-2-ethanesulfonic acid (HEPES) to RPMI 1640 medium markedly increases the production of cytotoxic products during exposure of the medium to visible light. The cytotoxicity has been analyzed by measuring uptake of [3H]thymidine by murine thymocytes cultured in preirradiated medium containing 25 mM HEPES. Complete inhibition of thymidine uptake was produced by exposing 50% of the culture medium to light for 3 h before addition of cells. The HEPES-mediated effect requires only that HEPES and riboflavin be exposed to light; other medium constituents are not necessary. Hydrogen peroxide is a principal cytotoxic agent produced in this system. It is demonstrated that most, but not all, of the inhibition of thymidine uptake can be attributed to hydrogen peroxide.
- Estervig, D.; Wang, R. J. Sister chromatid exchanges and chromosome aberrations in human cells induced by H2O2 and other photoproducts generated in fluorescent light-exposed medium. Photochem. Photobiol. 40: 333–336; 1984.
- Farrar, J. J.; Fuller-Farrar, J.; Simon, P. L.; Hilfiker, M. L.; Stadler, B. M.; Farrar, W. L. Thymoma production of T cell growth factor (interleukin 2). J. Immunol. 125: 2555–2558; 1980.
- Gantt, R.; Jones, G. M.; Stephens, E. V.; Baeck, A. E.; Sanford, K. K. Visible light-induced DNA crosslinks in cultured mouse and human cells. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 565: 231–240; 1979.
- Giblin, F. J.; McCready, J. P.; Reddy, V. N. The role of glutathione metabolism in the detoxification of H2O2 in rabbit lens. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 22: 330–335; 1982.
- Griffin, F. M.; Ashland, G.; Capizzi, R. L. Kinetics of phototoxicity of Fischer's medium for L5178Y leukemic cells. Cancer Res. 41: 2241–2248; 1981.
- Hoffman, M. E.; Mello-Filho, A. C.; Meneghini, R. correlation between cytotoxic effect of hydrogen peroxide and the yield of DNA strand breaks in cells of different species. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 781: 234–238; 1984.
- Jostes, R. F.; Dewey, W. C.; Hopwood, L. E. Mutagenesis by fluorescent light in mammalian cell cultures. Mutation Res. 42: 139–144; 1977.
- Lepe-Zuniga, J. L.; Gery, I. Production of intra- and extracellular interleukin-1 (IL-1) by human monocytes. Clin. Immunol. Immunopath. 31: 222–230; 1984. CrossRef
- Parshad, R.; Sanford, K. K.; Jones, G. M.; Tarone, R. E. Fluoresent light-induced chromosome damage and its prevention in mouse cells in culture. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 75: 1830–1833; 1978. CrossRef
- Pirie, A. Glutathione peroxidase in lens and a source of hydrogen peroxide in aqueous humor. Biochem. J. 96: 244–253; 1965.
- Reid, T. W.; Albert, D. M.; Rabson, A. S.; Russell, P.; Craft, J.; Chu, E. W.; Tralka, T. S.; Wilcox, J. L. Characteristics of an established cell line of retinoblastoma. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 53: 347–360; 1974.
- Russell, P.; Fukui, H. N.; Kinoshita, J. H. Properties of an Na-K ATPase inhibitor in cultured lens epithelial cells. Vision Res. 21: 37–39; 1981. CrossRef
- Silva, A.; MacDonald, H. R.; Conzelmann, A.; Corthesy, P.; Nabholz, M. Rat x mouse T-cell hybrids with inducible specific cytolytic activity. Immunol. Rev. 76: 105–129; 1983. CrossRef
- Spierenburg, G. T.; Oerlemans, F. T. J. J.; van Laarhoven, J. P. R. M.; deBruyn, C. H. M. M. Phototoxicity ofN-2-hydroxyethylpiperazine-N′-2-ethanesulfonic acid-buffered culture media for human leukemic cell lines. Cancer Res. 44: 2253–2254; 1984.
- Spikes, J. D. Photosensitization. In: Smith, K. C., ed. The Science of Photobiology. New York: Plenum Press; 1977: 87–112.
- Stoien, S. D.; Wang, R. J. Effect of near-ultraviolet and visible light on mammalian cells in culture II. Formation of toxic photoproducts in tissue culture medium by blacklight. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 71: 3961–3965; 1974. CrossRef
- Warburg, O.; Geissler, A. W.; Lorenz, S. Wirkung von Riboflavin und Luminoflavin aufwachsende Krebszellen. Z. Klin. Chem. Klin. biochem. 6: 467–468; 1968.
- Wang, R. J. Lethal effect of “daylight” fluorescent light on human cells in tissue-culture medium. Photochem. Photobiol. 21: 373–375; 1975.
- Wang, R. J.; Nixon, B. T. Identification of hydrogen peroxide as a photoproduct toxic to human cells in tissue-culture medium irradiated with “daylight” fluorescent light. In Vitro 14: 715–721; 1978. CrossRef
- Analysis of the cytotoxic effects of light-exposed hepes-containing culture medium
In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology
Volume 21, Issue 5 , pp 282-287
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- tissue culture medium
- light-induced cytotoxicity
- hydrogen peroxide
- Industry Sectors