Insect cell culture: Improved media and methods for initiating attached cell lines from the lepidoptera
- Dr. Ronald H. Goodwin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several cell lines from the pupae of the noctuid moth speciesSpodoptera frugiperda, Heliothis zea, andTrichoplusia ni were isolated on a synthetic medium containing insect hemolymph and turkey serum. These lines were progressively adapted to improved media free of insect hemolymph but containing one or more of the following sera: turkey, chicken, and fetal calf. Primary culture tissue disruption was improved by substituting collagenase for trypsin. Primary culture survival was improved by controlling the total tissue volume per unit medium volume, and by the addition of glutathione to prevent melanization and to improve cell adherence to the substrate. Culture survival was also improved by heat treatment of sera, control of medium osmolality, and changes in the basal medium and serum supplementation. Some of these changes also resulted in improved growth giving higher maximal cell counts. Comparative cell growth on the various media was graphed and generation times given.
- Vaughn, J. L. 1969. Personal communication. Insect Pathology Laboratory, USDA, ARS, Plant Protection Institute, ARC-West, Beltsville, Md. 20705.
- Hink, W. F. 1970. Established insect cell line from the cabbage looper,Trichoplusia ni. Nature 266: 466–467. CrossRef
- Hink, W. F., and C. M. Ignoffo. 1970. Establishment of a new cell line (IMC-HZ-1) from ovaries of cotton bollworm moths,Heliothis zea (Boddie). Exp. Cell Res. 60: 307–309. CrossRef
- Goodwin, R. H., J. L. Vaughn, J. R. Adams, and S. J. Louloudes. 1970. Replication of a nuclear polyhedrosis virus in an established insect cell line. J. Insect Pathol. 16: 284–288. CrossRef
- Goodwin, R. H., J. L. Vaughn, J. R. Adams, and S. J. Louloudes. 1973. The influence of insect ell lines and tissue culture media onBaculovirus polyhedra production. Misc. Publ. Entomol. Soc. Am. 9: 66–72.
- Stanley, M. S. Millam, and J. L. Vaughn. 1968. Origin of migrating cells in cultures of moth ovarian tissue based on developmental stages producing optimum out-growth. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 61: 1067–1072.
- Adams, J. R., and T. A. Wilcox. 1973. Determination of osmolalities of insect hemolymph from several species. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 66: 575–577.
- Chen, J. 1974. Personal communication. Microbiology Laboratory E.P.A. Chemical and Biological Investigations Branch, ARC-East, Beltsville, Md. 20705.
- Walters, D. R. 1974. Dissociation of lepidopterous tissues with proteolytic enzymes: comparison of collagenase, trypsin, and pronase. J. Insect Physiol. 20: 49–54. CrossRef
- Grace, T. D. C., and H. W. Brzostowski. 1966. Analysis of the amino acids and sugars in an insect cell culture medium during cell growth. J. Insect Physiol. 12: 625–633. CrossRef
- Hosokawa, A., T. Takaoka, and H. Katsuta. 1971. Non-essential amino acid requirements of mammalian cells in tissue culture. Jap. J. Exp. Med. 41: 273–290.
- Schafer, J. A., L. Silverman, J. C. Sullivan, and W. V. B., Robertson. 1967. Ascorbic acid deficiency in cultured human fibroblasts. J. Cell Biol. 34: 83–95. CrossRef
- Hink, W. F. 1972. Nutrition ofin vitro cultured insect cells. In: J. G. Rodriguez (Ed.),Insectr and Mite Nutrition, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, pp. 365–374.
- Kurtti, T. J., and M. A. Brooks. 1972. The effect of osmotic pressure and pH on the growth ofHeliothis zea cellsin vitro. In: J. G. Rodriguez (Ed.),Insect and Mite Nutrition, North-Holland Publishing Co., Amsterdam, pp. 387–395.
- Insect cell culture: Improved media and methods for initiating attached cell lines from the lepidoptera
Volume 11, Issue 6 , pp 369-378
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Insect Pathology Laboratory, Plant Protection Institute, Agricultural Research Service, U. S. Department of Agriculture, Rm. 214, Bldg. 011A, ARC-West, 20705, Beltsville, Maryland