Long-term human breast carcinoma cell lines of metastatic origin: Preliminary characterization
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Nineteen human breast carcinoma cell lines have been established as continous cultures during the past 6 years in our laboratory. This preliminary report is designed to list the lines by their designated code numbers (MDA-MB) and present a brief summary of their morphological, cytogenetic and biochemical characteristics. Sixteen of our lines were obtained from pleural effusions, two from brain metastases, and one from pericardial fluid. All lines have been shown to be distinct entities and are uncontaminated by HeLa cells or each other. A lq marker chromosome is present in all but one of the lines examined.
- Lasfargues, E. Y., and L. Ozzello. 1958. Cultivation of human breast carcinoma. J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 21: 1131–1147.
- Dobrynin, Y. V. 1963. Establishment and characterstics of cell strains from some epithelial tumors of human origin. J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 31: 1173–1196.
- Nordquist, R. E., D. R. Ishmael, C. A. Lovig, D. M. Hyder, and A. F. Hoge. 1975. The tissue culture and morphology of human breast tumor cell line BOT-2, Cancer Res. 35: 3100–3105.
- Hackett, A. J., H. S. Smith, E. L. Springer R. B. Owens, W. A. Nelson-Rees, J. L. Riggs, and M. B. Gardner. 1977. Two syngeneic cell lines from human breast tissue. J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 58: 1795–1806.
- Fogh, J., W. C. Wright, and J. D. Loveless. 1977. Absence of HeLa contamination in 169 cell lines derived from human tumors. J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 58: 209–214.
- Young, R. K., R. M. Cailleau, B. Mackay, and W. J. Reeves, Jr. 1974. Establishment of epithelial cell line MDA-MB-157 from metastatic pleural effusion of human breast carcinoma. In Vitro 9: 239–245. CrossRef
- Cailleau, R. M., R. Young, M. Olivé, and W. J. Reeves, Jr. 1974. Breast tumor cell lines from pleural effusions. J. Nat. Cancer Inst. 53: 661–674.
- Cailleau, R. M., and W. J. Reeves, Jr. 1975. Human pleural effusions as a source of breast carcinoma cell lines for tissue culture. Procedure 47911. TCA Manual 1: 91–94. CrossRef
- Cruciger, Q. V. Jones, S. Pathak, and R. Cailleau. 1976. Human breast carcinomas: Marker chromosomes involving lq in seven cases. Cytogenet. Cell Genet. 17: 231–235. CrossRef
- Pathak, S., M. J. Siciliano, R. Cailleau, C. L. Wiseman, and T. C. Hsu. A human breast adenocarcinoma with chromosome and isozyme markers similar to those of the HeLa line. J. Nat. Cancer Inst., in press.
- Cailleau, R., B. Mackay, r. K. Young, and W. J. Reeves, Jr. 1974. Tissue culture studies on pleural effusions from breast carcinoma patients. Can. Res. 34: 801–809.
- Chen, T. R. 1975. Microscopic demonstration of mycoplasma contamination in cell cultures and cell culture media. Procedure 75361. TCA Manual 1: 229–232. CrossRef
- Cruciger, Q., S. Pathak, P. Barker, R. Cailleau, N. Eckles, and G. Blumenschein. 1978. Consistent translocation of lq chromosome in metastatic breast cancer tissue and cell lines. Clinical correlations (abstr.). Clin. Res. 26: 433.
- Hokanson, K. M. S. 1978. Human breast tumor cell lines and their use of steroid hormones. Doctoral dissertation. University of Texas Health Science Center, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
- Long-term human breast carcinoma cell lines of metastatic origin: Preliminary characterization
Volume 14, Issue 11 , pp 911-915
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- cell lines
- human breast carcinoma
- Industry Sectors