An example of health hazard: People killed by gas during a phreatic eruption: Diëng plateau (Java, Indonesia), February 20th 1979
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
On February 20th, 1979, 142 inhabitants of Dieng Plateau (Indonesia) were asphyxiated by poisonous gases during a mild phreatic eruption. From later fields gas collection and analysis, the casualties are considered to be due to CO2 rich volcanic gases.
- Berita Berkala Vulkanologi,Bulletin of the Volcanological Survey of Indonesia for the Year 1960,103, 1978, 19–21.
- Le Guern, F., Gerlach, T. M., 1979a, High Temperature Gases from Merapi Volcano, Indonesia Application of a New Techniques for Field Gas Measurements. Pacific Northwest American Geophysical Union Meeting, Bend, Oregon, 17–18 Sept. 1979.
- ——, 1979 b,Analyse directe des gaz volcanologiques. C. R. Acad. Sc. Paris,288, série D. p. 867–870.
- Stehn, Ch. E., 1939,Steam Explosions at Timbang District, Batur Dieng. Netherl Ind. Volcanol. Sur. Bull.,90, p. 69.
- United States Federal Register, 1970,36. N. 105.Threshold Limit Values of Airborne Contaminants for 1970
- An example of health hazard: People killed by gas during a phreatic eruption: Diëng plateau (Java, Indonesia), February 20th 1979
Volume 45, Issue 2 , pp 153-156
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. C.F.R. — Lab. mixte CNRS-CEA, Domaine du CNR, 91190, Gif sur Yvette, France
- 2. Commissariat à l’Etude et à la Prévention des Risques naturels majeurs, 25 av. Charles Floquet, 75700, Paris, France
- 3. L.E.E.M.S. C.E.N.G., av. des Martyrs, B.P. 85, 38041, Grenoble, France