Prostate cancer, screening, and prostate-specific antigen
- John D. Voss MD
- … show all 1 hide
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Received from the Department of Health Care Sciences, George Washington University Medical Center, 2150 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20037.
- Centers for Disease Control. Trends in prostate cancer—United States, 1980–1988. MMWR. 1992;41:401–4.
- Pienta KJ, Esper PS. Risk factors for prostate cancer. Ann Intern Med. 1993;118:793–803.
- Boring CC, Squires TS, Tong T, Montgomery S. Cancer statistics 1994. CA Cancer J Clin. 1994;44:7–26.
- Horm JW, Sondik EJ. Person-years of life lost due to cancer in the United States, 1970 and 1984. Am J Public Health. 1989;79:1490–3.
- Muir CS, Nectoux, J. Staszewski J. The epidemiology of prostate cancer. Acta Oncol. 1991;30:133–40.
- Gittes RF. Carcinoma of the prostate. N Engl J Med. 1991;324:236–45. CrossRef
- Optenberg SA, Thompson IM. Economics of screening for carcinoma of the prostate. Urol Clin North Am. 1990;17:719–37.
- Hoel DG, Davis DL, Miller AB, Sondik EJ, Swerdlow AJ. Trends in cancer mortality in 15 industrialized countries, 1969–1986. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1992;84:313–20. CrossRef
- Meikle AW, Smith JH Jr. Epidemiology of prostate cancer. Urol Clin North Am. 1990;17:709–18.
- Smith PH. The case for no initial treatment of localized prostate cancer. Urol Clin North Am. 1990;17:827–34.
- Gerber GS, Chodak GW. Digital rectal examination in the early detection of prostate cancer. Urol Clin North Am. 1990;17: 739–44.
- Garnick MB. Prostate cancer: screening, diagnosis, and management. Ann Intern Med. 1993;118:804–18.
- Scardino PJ. Early detection of prostate cancer. Urol Clin North Am. 1989;16:635–55.
- Stamey TA. Diagnosis of prostate cancer: a personal view. J Urol. 1992;147:830–2.
- Murphy GP, Natarajan N, Pontes JE, et al. The national survey of prostate cancer in the United States by the American College of Surgeons. J Urol. 1982;127:928–34.
- Stamey TA, McNeal JE. Adenocarcinoma of the prostate. In: Walsh PC, Retik AB, Stamey TA, Vaughan ED Jr. (eds). Campbell’s Urology. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders, 1992;1159–221.
- Littrup PJ, Lee F, Mettlin C. Prostate cancer screening: current trends and future implications. CA Cancer J Clin. 1992;42:198–210.
- Whitmore WF, Warner JA, Thompson IM. Expectant management of prostate cancer. Cancer. 1991;67:1091–6. CrossRef
- Johansson JE, Adami HO, Andersson SO, et al. High 10-year survival rate in patients with early, untreated prostate cancer. JAMA. 1992;267:2191–6. CrossRef
- Adolfsson J, Cartstensen J, Lowhagen T. Deferred treatment in clinically localised prostatic carcinoma. Br J Urol. 1992;69:183–7.
- Fleming C, Wasson J, Albertson PC, Barry MJ, Wennberg JE. A decision analysis of alternative treatment strategies for clinically localized prostate cancer. JAMA. 1993;269:2650–8. CrossRef
- George NJR. Natural history of prostate cancer managed by conservative therapy alone. Lancet. 1988;i:494–6. CrossRef
- Handley R, Carr TW, Travis D, Powell PH, Hall RR. Deferred treatment for prostate cancer. Br J Urol. 1988;62:249–53. CrossRef
- Lu-Yao GL, McLerran D, Wasson J, Wennberg JE. An assessment of radical prostatectomy. JAMA. 1993;269:2633–6. CrossRef
- Lowe BA, Listrom MB. Incidental carcinoma of the prostate: an analysis of the predictors of progression. J Urol. 1988;140:1340–3.
- Brown ML, Potosky AL, Thompson GB, Kessler LG. The knowledge and use of screening tests for colorectal and prostate cancer: data from the National Health Interview Survey. Prev Med. 1990;19:562–74. CrossRef
- Mold JW, Holtgrave DR, Bisonno RS, Marley DS, Wright RA, Spann SJ. The evaluation and treatment of men with asymptomatic prostatic nodules in primary care: a decision analysis. J Fam Pract. 1992;34:561–8.
- Gerber GS, Thompson IM, Thisted R, Chodak GW. Disease-specific survival following routine prostate cancer screening by digital rectal examination. JAMA. 1993;269:61–4. CrossRef
- American Cancer Society. Guidelines for cancer-related checkup: recommendations and rationale. CA Cancer J Clin. 1980;30:194–240.
- National Cancer Institute. Working guidelines for early cancer detection. Rationale and supporting evidence to decrease mortality. Bethesda, MD: National Cancer Institute, 1987.
- Fisher M (ed). Screening for prostate cancer. In: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to clinical preventive services: an assessment of the effectiveness of 169 interventions. Baltimore, MD: Williams & Wilkins, 1989;63–6.
- Canadian Task Force on Periodic Health Examination. The periodic health examination. Can Med Assoc J. 1979;121:1194–254.
- Labrie F, Dupont A, Suburu S, et al. Serum prostate specific antigen as prescreening test for prostate cancer. J Urol. 1992;147:846–52.
- Brawer MK, Chetner MP, Beatie J, Buchner DM, Vessella RL, Lange PH. Screening for prostate carcinoma with prostate specific antigen. J Urol. 1992;147:841–5.
- Mettlin C, Lee F, Drago J, Murphy GP. American Cancer Society national prostate cancer detection project. Cancer. 1991;67:2949–58. CrossRef
- Drago JR, York JP. Prostate specific antigen, digital rectal examination and transrectal ultrasound in predicting the probability of cancer. J Surg Oncol. 1992;49:172–5. CrossRef
- Catalona WJ, Smith DS, Ratliff TL, et al. Measurement of prostate-specific antigen in serum as a screening test for prostate cancer. N Engl J Med. 1991;324:1156–61. CrossRef
- Gustafsson O, Norming U, Almgard L, et al. Diagnostic methods in the detection of prostate cancer: a study of a randomly selected population of 2,400 men. J Urol 1992;148:1827–31.
- Wasson J, Fleming C, Bruskewitz R, et al. The treatment of localized prostate cancer: what are we doing, what do we know, and what should we be doing? Semin Urol. 1993;11:23–6.
- Madsen PO, Graversen PH, Gasser TC, Corle DK. Treatment of localised prostate cancer. Radical prostatectomy versus placebo. A fifteen year followup. Scand J Urol. Mephrol Suppl. 1988;110:95–100.
- Cooner WH, Mosley BR, Rutherford CL Jr, et al. Prostate cancer detection in a clinical urological practice by ultrasonography, digital rectal examination and prostate specific antigen. J Urol. 1990;143:1146–52.
- Whitmore WJ Jr. Natural history of low stage prostatic cancer and the impact of early detection. Urol Clin North Am. 1990;17:689–97.
- Naughton D. Researchers weigh pros and cons of PSA screening. Rep Med Guidelines Outcomes Res. 1993;4:1–6.
- Littrup PJ, Goodman AC, Mettlin CJ. The benefit and cost of prostate cancer early detection. CA Cancer J Clin. 1993;43:134–49.
- Benson MC, Whang IS, Pantuck A, et al. Prostate specific antigen density: a means of distinguishing benign prostatic hypertrophy and prostate cancer. J Urol. 1992;147:815–6.
- Benson MC, Whang IS, Olsson CA, McMahon DJ, Cooner WH. The use of prostate specific antigen density to enhance the predictive value of intermediate levels of serum prostate specific antigen. J Urol. 1992;147:817–21.
- Brawer MK, Aramburu EAG, Chen GI, Preston SD, Ellis WJ. The inability of prostate specific antigen index to enhance the predictive value of prostate specific antigen in the diagnosis of prostatic carcinoma. J Urol. 1993;150:369–73.
- Carter HB, Pearson JD, Metter EJ, et al. Longitudinal evaluation of prostate-specific antigen levels in men with and without prostate disease. JAMA. 1992;267:2215–20. CrossRef
- Oesterling JE, Jacobsen SJ, Chute CG, et al. Serum prostate-specific antigen in a community-based population of healthy men. JAMA. 1993;270:860–4. CrossRef
- Prostate cancer, screening, and prostate-specific antigen
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 9, Issue 8 , pp 468-474
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors