General internal medicine update
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Received from the Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle.
Based on work presented at the 77th annual session, American College of Physicians, San Francisco, Calif., April 26, 1996, and the 18th annual meeting, Society of General Internal Medicine, Washington, DC, May 3, 1996.
- Larson EB, McGee SR. Update in general internal medicine. ACP J Club. 1995;123:A12–4. Editorial.
- Shepherd J, Cobbe SM, Ford I, et al. Prevention of coronary heart disease with prevastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:1301–7. CrossRef
- American College of Physicians. Clinical guideline, pt 1. Guidelines for using serum cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and triglyceride levels as screening tests for preventing coronary heart disease in adults. Ann Intern Med. 1996;124:515–7.
- Summary of the second report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) Expert Panel on detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult treatment Panel II). JAMA. 1993;269:3015–23.
- Newman TB, Hulley SB. Carcinogenicity of lipid-lowering drugs. JAMA. 1996;275:55–60. CrossRef
- Dalen JE, Dalton WS. Does lowering cholesterol cause cancer? JAMA. 1996;275:67–9. Editorial. CrossRef
- The Writing Group for the PEPI Trial. Effects of estrogen or estrogen/progestin regimens on heart disease risk factors in postmenopausal women. The postmenopausal estrogen/progestin interventions (PEPI) trial. JAMA. 1995;273:199–208. CrossRef
- The Writing Group for the PEPI Trial. Effects of hormone replacement therapy on endometrial histology in postmenopausal women. The postmenopausal estrogen/progestin interventions (PEPI) trial. JAMA. 1996;275:370–5. CrossRef
- Medical Research Council’s General Practice Research Framework. Randomized comparison of oestrogen versus oestrogen plus progestogen hormone replacement therapy in women with hysterectomy. BMJ. 1996;312:473–8.
- Psaty BM, Heckbert SR, Atkins D, et al. The risk of myocardial infarction associated with the combined use of estrogens and progestins in postmenopausal women. Arch Intern Med. 1994;154:1333–9. CrossRef
- Colditz GA, Hankinson SE, Hunter DJ, et al. The use of estrogens and progestins and the risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:1589–93. CrossRef
- Psaty BM, Heckbert SR, Koepsell TD, et al. The risk of myocardial infarction associated with antihypertensive drug therapies. JAMA. 1995;274:620–5. CrossRef
- Pahor M, Guralnik JM, Corti MC, Foley DJ, Carbonin P, Havlik RJ. Long-term survival and use of antihypertensive medications in older persons. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1995;43:1191–7.
- Furberg CD, Psaty BM, Meyer JV. Nifedipine: dose-related increase in mortality in patients with coronary heart disease. Circulation. 1995;92:1326–31.
- Buring JE, Glynn RJ, Hennekens CH. Calcium channel blockers and myocardial infarction: a hypothesis formulated but not yet tested. JAMA. 1995;274:654–5. Editorial. CrossRef
- Marwick C. FDA gives calcium channel blockers clean bill of health but warns of short-acting nifedipine hazards. JAMA. 1996;275:421. CrossRef
- Executive Committee for the Asymptomatic Carotid Atherosclerosis Study. Endarterectomy for asymptomatic carotid artery stenosis. JAMA. 1995;273:1421–8. CrossRef
- Cote R, Battista RN, Abrahamowicz M, Langlois Y, Bourque F, Mackey A. Lack of effect of aspirin in asymptomatic patients with carotid bruits and substantial carotid narrowing. Ann Intern Med. 1995;123:649–55.
- Steering Committee of the Physicians’ Health Study Research Group. Final report of the aspirin component of the ongoing Physicians’ Health Study. N Engl J Med. 1989;321:129–35. CrossRef
- Peto R, Gray R, Collins R, et al. Randomised trial of prophylactic daily aspirin in British male doctors. BMJ. 1988;296:313–6. CrossRef
- Schulman S, Rhedin AS, Lindmarker P, et al. A comparison of six weeks with six months of oral anticoagulant therapy after a first episode of venous thromboembolism. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:1661–5. CrossRef
- Lensing AWA, Prins MH, Davidson BL, Hirsch J. Treatment of deep venous thrombosis with low-molecular-weight heparins. A meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med. 1995;155:601–7. CrossRef
- Levine M, Gent M, Hirsch J, et al. A comparison of low-molecular-weight heparin administered primarily at home with unfractionated heparin administered in the hospital for proximal deep-vein thrombosis. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:677–81. CrossRef
- Koopman MMW, Prandoni P, Piovella F, et al. Treatment of venous thrombosis with intravenous unfractionated heparin administered in the hospital as compared with subcutaneous low-molecular-weight heparin administered at home. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:682–7. CrossRef
- de Valk HW, Banga JD, Wester JWJ, et al. Comparing subcutaneous danaparoid with intravenous unfractionated heparin for the treatment of venous thromboembolism. A randomized control trial. Ann Intern Med. 1995;123:1–9.
- Leclerc JR, Geerts WH, Desjardins L, et al. Prevention of venous thromboembolism after knee arthroplasty. A randomized, doubleblind trial comparing enoxaparin with warfarin. Ann Intern Med. 1996;124:619–26.
- Warkentin TE, Levine MN, Hirsch J, et al. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in patients treated with low-molecular-weight heparin or unfractionated heparin. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:1330–5. CrossRef
- Wells PS, Hirsch J, Anderson DR, et al. Accuracy of clinical assessment of deep-vein thrombosis. Lancet. 1995;345:1326–30. CrossRef
- den Heijer M, Blom HJ, Gerrits WBJ, et al. Is hyperhocysteinaemia a risk factor for recurrent venous thrombosis? Lancet. 1995;345:882–5. CrossRef
- den Heijer M, Koster T, Blom HJ, et al. Hyperhomocysteinemia as a risk factor for deep-vein thrombosis. N Engl J Med. 1996;334:759–62. CrossRef
- Fermo I, Vigano’ D’Angelo S, Paroni R, Mazzola G, Calori G, D’Angelo A. Prevalence of moderate hyperhomocysteinemia in patients with early-onset venous and arterial occulsive disease. Ann Intern Med. 1995;123:747–53.
- Dahlback B. Inherited thrombophilia: resistance to activated protein C as a pathogenic factor of venous thromboembolism. Blood. 1995;85:607–14.
- Ridker PM, Hennekens CH, Lindpaintner K, Stampfer MJ, Eisenberg PR, Miletich JP. Mutation in the gene coding for coagulation factor V and the risk of myocardial infarction, stroke, and venous thrombosis in apparently healthy men. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:912–7. CrossRef
- World Health Organization Collaborative Study of Cardiovascular Disease and Steroid Hormone Contraception. Venous thromboembolic disease and combined oral contraceptives: results of international multicentre case-control study. Lancet. 1996;346:1575–82.
- Bloemenkamp KWM, Rosendaal FR, Helmerhorst FM, Buller HR, Vandenbroucke JP. Enhancement by factor V Leiden mutation of risk of deep-vein thrombosis associated with oral contraceptives containing a third-generation progestagen. Lancet. 1996;346:1593–6. CrossRef
- Nichol KL, Lind A, Margolis KL, et al. The effectiveness of vaccination against influenza in healthy, working adults. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:889–93. CrossRef
- Gross PA, Hermogenes AW, Sacks HS, Lau J, Levandowski RA. The efficacy of influenza vaccination in elderly persons: a meta-analysis and review of the literature. Ann Intern Med. 1995;123:518–27.
- Tyring S, Barbarash RA, Nahlik JE, et al. Famciclovir for the treatment of acute herpes zoster: effects on acute disease and postherpetic neuralgia. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Intern Med. 1995;123:89–96.
- Wood MJ, Kay R, Dworkin RH, Soong SJ, Whitley RJ. Oral acyclovir therapy accelerates pain resolution in patients with herpes zoster: a meta-analysis of placebo-controlled trials. Clin Infect Dis. 1996;22:341–7.
- Mertz GJ, Benedetti J, Ashley R, Selke SA, Corey L. Risk factors for the sexual transmission of genital herpes. Ann Intern Med. 1992;116:197–202.
- Wald A, Zeh J, Selke S, Ashley RL, Corey L. Virologic characteristics of subclinical and symptomatic genital herpes infections. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:770–5. CrossRef
- Wald A, Zeh J, Barnum G, Davis LG, Corey L. Suppression of subclinical shedding of herpes simplex virus type 2 with acyclovir. Ann Intern Med. 1996;124:8–15.
- Scott LL, Sanchez PJ, Jackson GL, Zeray F, Wendel GD. Acyclovir suppression to prevent cesarean delivery after first-episode genital herpes. Obstet Gynecol. 1996;87:69–73. CrossRef
- Tremolada F, Benvegnu L, Casarin C, Pontisso P, Tagger A, Alberti A. Antibody to hepatitis C virus in hepatocellular carcinoma. Lancet. 1990;335:300–1. CrossRef
- Nishiguchi S, Kuroki T, Nakatani S, et al. Randomized trial of effects of interferon-α on incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic active hepatitis C with cirrhosis. Lancet. 1995;346:1051–5. CrossRef
- Cutler AF, Havstad S, Ma CK, Blaser MJ, Perez-Perez GI, Schubert TT. Accuracy of invasive and noninvasive tests to diagnoseHelicobacter pylori infection. Gastroenterology. 1995;109:136–41. CrossRef
- Walsh JH, Peterson WL. The treatment ofHelicobacter pylori infection in the management of peptic ulcer disease. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:984–91. CrossRef
- Al-Assi MT, Cole RA, Karttunen TJ, El-Zimaity H, Genta RM, Graham DY. Treatment ofHelicobacter pylori infection with omeprazole-amoxicillin combination therapy versus ranitidine/sodium bicarbonate-amoxicillin. Am J Gastroenterol. 1995;90:1411–4.
- Saberi-Firoozi M, Massarrat S, Zare S, et al. Effect of triple therapy or amoxycillin plus omeprazole or amoxycillin plus tinidazole plus omeprazole on duodenal ulcer healing, eradication ofHelicobacter pylori, and prevention of ulcer relapse over a 1-year follow-up period: a prospective, randomized, controlled study. Am J Gastroenterol. 1995;90:1419–23.
- de Boer WA, Driessen WM, Jansz AR, Tytgat GN. Quadruple therapy compared with dual therapy for eradication ofHelicobacter pylori in ulcer patients: results of a randomized prospective singlecentre study. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 1995;7:1189–94.
- Thijs JC, van Zwet AA, Moolenaar W, Wolfhagen MJHM, ten Bokkel Huinink J. Triple therapy vs. amoxicillin plus omeprazole for treatment ofHelicobacter pylori infection: a multi-center, prospective, randomized, controlled study of efficacy and side effects. Am J Gastroenterol. 1996;91:93–7.
- de Boer WA, Driessen WM, Jansz AR, Tytgat GN. Effect of acid suppression on efficacy of treatment forHelicobacter pylori infection. Lancet. 1995;345:817–20. CrossRef
- Soll AH, for the Practice Parameters Committee of the American College of Gastroenterology. Medical treatment of peptic ulcer disease: practice guidelines. JAMA. 1996;275:622–9. CrossRef
- Hofmann J, Cetron MS, Farley MM, et al. The prevalence of drugresistantStreptococcus pneumoniae in Atlanta. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:481–6. CrossRef
- Pallares R, Linares J, Vadillo M, et al. Resistance to penicillin and cephalosporin and mortality from severe pneumococcal pneumonia in Barcelona, Spain. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:474–80. CrossRef
- Bartlett JG, Mundy LM. Community-acquired pneumonia. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:1618–24. CrossRef
- DeFronzo RA, Goodman AM, and the Multicenter Metformin Study Group. Efficacy of metformin in patients with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:541–9. CrossRef
- Coniff RF, Shapiro JA, Seaton TB, Bray GA. Multicenter, placebocontrolled trial comparing acarbose (BAY g 5421) with placebo, tolbutamide, and tolbutamide-plus-acarbose in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Am J Med. 1995;98:443–51. CrossRef
- Greening AP, Ind PW, Northfield M, Shaw G, on behalf of Allen & Hanburys Limited UK Study Group. Added salmeterol versus higher-dose corticosteroid in asthma patients with symptoms on existing inhaled corticosteroid. Lancet. 1994;334:219–24. CrossRef
- D’Alonzo GE, Nathan RA, Henochowicz S, Morris RJ, Ratner P, Rennard SI. Salmeterol xinafoate as maintenance therapy compared with albuterol in patients with asthma. JAMA. 1994;271:1412–6. CrossRef
- Gibson PG, Wlodarczyk J, Hensley MJ, et al. Using quality-control analysis of peak expiratory flow recordings to guide therapy for asthma. Ann Intern Med. 1995;123:488–92.
- General internal medicine update
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 11, Issue 10 , pp 613-621
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors