The meaning of life expectancy
368 Downloads 200 Citations 9 Comments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Dr. Detsky is supported by a National Health Research Scholar Award from Health and Welfare Canada.
- Truett J, Cornfield J, Kannel W. A multivariate analysis of the risk of coronary heart disease in Framingham. J Chronic Dis. 1967;20:511–24. CrossRef
- Lipid Research Clinics Program. The Lipid Research Clinics Coronary Primary Prevention Trial. JAMA. 1984;251:351–64. CrossRef
- Taylor WC, Pass TM, Shepard DS, Komaroff AL. Cholesterol reduction and life expectancy. A model incorporating multiple risk factors. Ann Intern Med. 1987;106:605–14.
- Tsevat J, Weinstein MC, Goldman L, et al. Expected gains in life expectancy from various coronary heart disease risk factor modifications. Circulation. 1991;83:1194–201.
- Wong JB, Sonnenberg FA, Salem DN, Pauker SG. Myocardial revascularization for chronic stable angina. An analysis of the role of percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty based on data available in 1989. Ann Intern Med. 1990;113:852–71.
- Zubialde JP, Lawler F, Clemenson N. Estimated gains in life expectancy with use of postmenopausal estrogen therapy: a decision analysis. J Fam Pract. 1993;36:271–80.
- Friedman LS, Roberts MS, Brett AS, Marton KI. Management of asymptomatic gallstones in the diabetic patient. A decision analysis. Ann Intern Med. 1988;109:913–9.
- Tsevat J, Eckman MH, McNutt RA, Pauker SG. Warfarin for dilated cardiomyopathy: a bloody tough pill to swallow? Med Decis Making. 1989;9:162–9. CrossRef
- Beck JR, Kassirer JP, Pauker SG. A convenient approximation to life expectancy (The ‘DEALE’), I. Validation of the method. Am J Med. 1982;73:883–8. CrossRef
- Beck JR, Pauker SG, Gottlieb NE, Klein A, Kassirer JP. A convenient approximation to life expectancy (The ‘DEALE’), II. Use in medical decision making. Am J Med. 1982;73:889–97. CrossRef
- Biem HJ, Detsky AS, Armstrong PW. Management of asymptomatic chronic aortic regurgitation with left ventricular dysfunction: a decision analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 1990;5:394–401.
- Desbiens NA. Should all patients with atrial fibrillation be screened with echocardiography? J Gen Intern Med. 1992;7:131–9. CrossRef
- Jordan TJ, Lewit EM, Montgomery RI, Reichman LB. Isoniazid as preventive therapy in HIV-infected intravenous drug abusers. A decision analysis. JAMA. 1991;265:2987–91. CrossRef
- Beck JR, Salem DN, Estes NAM, Pauker SG. A computer-based Markov decision analysis of the management of symptomatic bifascicular block: the threshold for pacing. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1987;9:920–35. CrossRef
- Birkmeyer JD, Marrin CAS, O’Connor GT. Should patients with Bjork-Shiley valves undergo prophylactic replacement? Lancet. 1992;340:520–3. CrossRef
- Wilcox GM, Beck JR. Early invasive cancer in adenomatous colonic polyps (“malignant polyps”). Evaluation of the therapeutic options by decision analysis. Gastroenterology. 1987;92:1159–68.
- Iansek R, Elstein AS, Balla JI. Application of decision analysis to management of cerebral arteriovenous malformation. Lancet. 1983;1:1132–5. CrossRef
- Hillner BE, Smith TJ, Desch CE. Efficacy and cost-effectiveness of autologous bone marrow transplantation in metastatic breast cancer. Estimates using decision analysis while awaiting clinical trial results. JAMA. 1992;267:2055–61. CrossRef
- McNeil B, Weichselbaum R, Pauker SG. Fallacy of the five-year survival in lung cancer. N Engl J Med. 1978;299:1397–401. CrossRef
- Laupacis A, Sackett DI, Roberts RS. An assessment of clinically useful measures of the consequences of treatment. N Engl J Med. 1988;318:1728–33. CrossRef
- Colice GL. Decision analysis, public health policy and isoniazid chemoprophylaxis for young adult tuberculin skin reactors. Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:2517–22. CrossRef
- Olshansky SL, Carnes BA, Cassel C. In search of Methuselah: estimating the upper limit to human longevity. Science. 1990;250:634–40. CrossRef
- The meaning of life expectancy
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 9, Issue 12 , pp 702-707
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2. Division of General Internal Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology, The Toronto Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 3. Department of Health Administration, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada