Risk factors for nonelective hospital readmissions
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We previously reported a predictive model that identified potentially modifiable risk factors for nonelective readmission to a county hospital. The objectives of this study were to determine if those risk factors were generalizable to a different population. We found that the previously reported risk factors were generalizable, and other potentially modifiable risk factors were identified in this population of veterans. However, further research is needed to establish whether or not the risk factors can be modified and whether or not modification improves outcomes.
- Smith DM, Norton JA, McDonald CJ. Non-elective readmissions of medical patients. J Chron Dis. 1985;38:213–24. CrossRef
- Phillips RS, Safran C, Cleary PD, Delbanco TL. Predicting emergency readmissions for patients discharged from the medical service of a teaching hospital. J Gen Intern Med. 1987;2:400–5. CrossRef
- Fitzgerald JF, Smith DM, Martin DK, Freedman JA, Katz BP. A case manager intervention to reduce readmissions. Arch Intern Med. 1994;154:1721–9. CrossRef
- Burns R, Nichols LO. Factors predicting readmission of older general medicine patients. J Gen Intern Med. 1991;6:389–93. CrossRef
- Smith DM, Weinberger M, Katz BP, Moore PS. Postdischarge care and readmissions. Med Care. 1988;26:699–708. CrossRef
- Duke University Center for the Study of Aging. Multi-dimensional Functional Assessment: The OARS Methodology. 2nd ed. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 1978.
- Pfeiffer E. A short portable mental status questionnaire for the assessment of organic brain deficit in elderly patients. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1975;23:433–41.
- Cohen S, Mermelstein R, Kamarck T, Hoberman M. Measuring the functional components of social service. In: Sarason IG, Sarason BR, eds. Social Support Theory, Research and Applications. Boston, Mass: Martinus Nijhoff Publishers; 1985;182–203.
- Selzer ML. The Michigan alcoholism screening test: the quest for a new diagnostic instrument. Am J Psychiatry. 1971;127:1653–8.
- Efron B. The Jackknife, the Bootstrap, and Other Resampling Plans. Philadelphia, Pa: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM); 1982.
- Waite K, Oddone E, Weinberger M, Samsa G, Foy M, Henderson W. Lack of association between patients’ measured burden of disease and risk for hospital readmission. J Clin Epidemiol. 1994;47:1229–36. CrossRef
- Smith DM, Weinberger M, Katz BP. A controlled trial to increase office visits and reduce hospitalizations of diabetic patients. J Gen Intern Med. 1987;2:231–7.
- Munley PH, Hyer LA. Demographic and clinical characteristics as predictors of readmission: a one-year follow-up. J Clin Psychol. 1978;34:833–7.
- Risk factors for nonelective hospital readmissions
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 11, Issue 12 , pp 762-764
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- patient readmission
- patient discharge
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Richard L. Roudebush VAMC, HSR&D (11H), 1481 West Tenth St., 46202, Indianpolis, IN
- 2. the Division of General Internal Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, USA
- 3. The Regenstrief Institute for Health Care, Indianapolis
- 4. the Division of Biostatistics of the Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, USA