Positive predictive value of clinical suspicion for abdominal aortic aneurysm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To measure the positive predictive value (PPV) of clinical suspicion of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA), as confirmed by ultrasonography, we reviewed the records of 343 patients at a university medical center referred to ultrasonography for newly suspected AAA. Positive predictive value was 11.1% for large aneurysms of at least 5.0 cm and 18.7% for aneurysms of at least 3.5 cm, and was higher for men and older patients. For patients under 50 years of age, PPV was only 2.6%. Ultrasonography for clinically suspected AAA has a low positive predictive yield, particularly for men under age 50 and for women.
- Lederle FA, Walker JM, Retake DB. Selective screening for abdominal aortic aneurysms with physical examination and ultrasound. Arch Intern Med. 1988;148:1753–6. CrossRef
- Collin J, Araujo L, Walton J, Lindsell D. Oxford screening programme for abdominal aortic aneurysm in men aged 65 to 74 years. Lancet. 1988;2(8611):613–5. CrossRef
- Oboler SK, LaForce FM. The periodic physical examination in asymptomatic adults. Ann Intern Med. 1989;110:214–26.
- Beede SD, Ballard DJ, James EM, Ilstrup DM, Hallet JW Jr. Positive predictive value of clinical suspicion of abdominal aortic aneurysm. Implications for efficient use of abdominal ultrasonography. Arch Intern Med. 1990;150:549–51. CrossRef
- National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Statistics of the United States, 1988, vol 2. Mortality, pt A. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office; 1991.
- Bengtsson H, Bergqvist D, Sternby NH. Increasing prevalence of abdominal aortic aneurysms. A necropsy study. Eur J Surg. 1992;158:19–23.
- Johansson G, Swedenborg J. Ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysms: a study on incidence and mortality. Br J Surg. 1986;73:101–3. CrossRef
- Thomas PRS, Stewart RD. Abdominal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg. 1988;75:733–6. CrossRef
- Johansson G, Nydahl S, Olofsson P, Swedenborg J. Survival in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysms. Comparison between operative and nonoperative management. Eur J Vase Surg. 1990;4:497–502. CrossRef
- Glimaker H, Holmberg L, Elvin A, et al. Natural history of patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm. Eur J Vase Surg. 1991;5:125–30. CrossRef
- Nevitt MP, Ballard DJ, Hallett JWJ. Prognosis of abdominal aortic aneurysms. A population-based study. N Engl J Med. 1989;321:1009–14. CrossRef
- Bengtsson H, Bergqvist D, Ekberg O, Ranstam J. Expansion pattern and risk of rupture of abdominal aortic aneurysms that were not operated on. Eur J Surg. 1993;159:461–7.
- Bengtsson H, Bergqvist D. Ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm: a population-based study. J Vase Surg. 1993;18:74–80. CrossRef
- LaRoy LL, Cormier PJ, Matalon TAS, Patel SK, Turner DA, Silver B. Imaging of abdominal aortic aneurysms. AJR. 1989;152:785–92.
- Akkersdijk GJ, Puylaert JB, Coerkamp EG, de Vries AC. Accuracy of ultrasonographic measurement of infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. Br J Surg. 1994;81:376. CrossRef
- Breckwoldt WL, Mackey WC, O’Donnell TF Jr. The economic implications of high-risk abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vase Surg. 1991;13:798–804. CrossRef
- Bengtsson H, Bergqvist D, Jendteg S, Lindgren B, Persson U. Ultrasonographic screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: analysis of surgical decisions for cost-effectiveness. World J Surg. 1989;13:266–71. CrossRef
- Katz DA, Cronenwett JL. The cost-effectiveness of early surgery versus watchful waiting in the management of small abdominal aortic aneurysms. J Vase Surg. 1994;19:980–90.
- Mason JM, Wakeman AP, Drummond MF, Crump BJ. Population screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm: do the benefits outweigh the costs? J Public Health Med. 1993;15:154–60.
- Frame PS, Fryback DG, Patterson C. Screening for abdominal aortic aneurysm in men ages 60 to 80 years. A cost-effectiveness analysis. Ann Intern Med. 1993;119:411–6.
- Positive predictive value of clinical suspicion for abdominal aortic aneurysm
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 11, Issue 12 , pp 756-758
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- abdominal aortic aneurysm
- physical examination
- utilization and cost-effectiveness
- referral and consultation
- Industry Sectors