Use of health services before the diagnosis of melanoma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Objective:To determine whether persons with melanoma were integrated into the health care system prior to diagnosis.
Design:Population-based survey by mailed questionnaire.
Patients/participants:216 persons with malignant melanoma diagnosed in Massachusetts in 1986.
Main results:Of the 216 cases, 87% stated that they had regular physicians, 63% had seen those physicians in the year prior to diagnosis, but only 20% had regular dermatologists. Overall, only 24% had examined their own skin prior to diagnosis and 20% reported physician skin examinations.
Conclusions:Persons diagnosed with melanoma reported extensive contact with regular physicians in the year prior to diagnosis. However, most of these persons neither received skin examinations nor examined their own skin during that time. While additional study is necessary to confirm these findings, the authors suggest that physicians caring for patients at risk for melanoma integrate melanoma screening into routine care.
- Koh HK. Cutaneous melanoma. N Engl J Med. 1991;325:171–82. CrossRef
- National Cancer Institute. Cancer statistics review, 1973–1987. Bethesda, MD: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, 1990. NIH publication no (PHS)90-2789.
- National Center for Health Statistics. Current estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, United States. Series 10, No 160, DHHS Publication No (PHS)86-1588, 1986.
- Access to health care in the United States: results of a 1986 survey. Princeton, NJ: The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Special report. No 2, 1987:3–10.
- Sackett DL, Holland WW. Controversy in the detection of disease. Lancet. 1975;2:357–9. CrossRef
- Rigel DS, Rivers JK, Kopf AW, et al. Dysplastic nevi: markers for increased risk for melanoma. Cancer. 1989;63:386–9. CrossRef
- American Academy of Dermatology. Consumer Awareness Survey. Chicago, IL: SRI-Gallup, February 1987.
- Prout MN, Heeren TC, Barber CE, et al. Use of health services before diagnosis of head and neck cancer among Boston residents. Am J Prev Med. 1990;6:77–83.
- Koh HK, Miller DR, Geller AC, et al. Who discovers melanoma? Patterns from a population-based survey. J Am Acad Dermatol. (in press) 1992.
- Berwick M, Roush G, Thompson W. Evaluating the efficacy of skin self-exam and other surveillance measures in persons at various levels of risk for cutaneous malignant melanoma: an on-going case-control study. In: Anderson PN, Engstrom PF, Mortenson LE (eds). Prog Clin Biol Res. 1989;293:297–305.
- Fisher M, Eckhart C (eds). Screening for skin cancer. In: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to clinical preventive services: an assessment of the effectiveness of 169 interventions. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1989.
- Cohen DI, Littenberg B, Wetzel C, et al. Improving physician compliance with preventive medicine guidelines. Med Care. 982;20(10):1040–5.
- McPhee SJ, Bird JA, Jenkins CNH, et al. Promoting cancer screening: a randomized, controlled trial of three interventions. Arch Intern Med. 1989;149:1866–72. CrossRef
- McPhee SJ, Bird JA. Implementation of cancer prevention guidelines in clinical practice. J Gen Intern Med. 1990;5(S/O suppl):S116-S122.
- Newcomb PA, Love RR, Phillips JL, et al. Using a population-based cancer registry for recruitment in a pilot cancer control study. Prev Med. 1990;19:61–5. CrossRef
- Spry VM, Hovell MF, Sallis JF, et al. Recruiting participants to mailed surveys: trials of incentives. Am J Epidemiol. 1989;130:166–72.
- Schroeder SA, McPhee SJ. General approach to the patient; health maintenance and disease prevention; principles of diagnostic test selection and use. In: Schroeder SA, Tierney LM, McPhee SJ, et al. (eds). Current medical diagnosis and treatment. East Norwalk, CT: Appleton and Lange, 1991.
- Howard J. “Avoidable mortality” from cervical cancer: exploring the concept. Soc Sci Med. 1987;24:507–14. CrossRef
- Use of health services before the diagnosis of melanoma
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 154-157
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- skin examination
- Industry Sectors