On the bayesianity of pereira-stern tests
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
C. Pereira and J. Stern have recently introduced a measure of evidence of a precise hypothesis consisting of the posterior probability of the set of points having smaller density than the supremum over the hypothesis. The related procedure is seen to be a Bayes test for specific loss functions. The nature of such loss functions and their relation to stylised inference problems are investigated. The dependence of the loss function on the sample is also discussed as well as the consequence of the introduction of Jeffrey’s prior mass for the precise hypothesis on the separability of probability and utility.
- Basu, D. (1975). Statistical information and likelihood (with discussion).Sankhyã A 37, 1–71.
- Berger, J.O. and M. Delampady (1987). Testing precise hypotheses (with discussion).Statistical Science 2, 317–352.
- Bernardo, J.M. and A.F.M. Smith (1994).Bayesian Theory. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Evans, M. (1997). Beyesian inference procedures derived via the concept of relative surprise.Communications in Statistics 26, 1125–1143. CrossRef
- Good, I.J. (1988). Surprise index.Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences,9, 104–109 (S. Kotz, N.L. Johnson and C.B. Reid, eds.) John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Hwang, J.T., G. Casella, C.P. Robert, M.T. Wells and R.G. Farrel (1992). Estimation of accuracy in testing.Annals of Statistics 20, 490–509.
- Jeffreys, H. (1961).Theory of Probability. Oxford University Press.
- Kadane, J.B. (1992). Healthy scepticism as an expected utility explanation of the phenomena of Allais and Ellsberg.Theory and Decision 32, 57–64. CrossRef
- Pereira, C.A. de B. and J. Stern (1999). Evidence and Credibility: a full Bayesian test of precise hypothesis.Entropy 1, 104–115.
- Rubin, H. (1987). A weak system of axioms for ‘rational’ behaviour and the non-separability of utility from prior.Statistics and Decisions 5, 47–58.
- Savage, L.J. (1954).The Foundations of Statistics. Wiley, New York.
- On the bayesianity of pereira-stern tests
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 291-299
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bayesian Inference
- Decision Theory
- hypothesis test
- loss functions
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departmento de Estatística, Universidade Federal do Pará, Cx. Postal 66281, 05315-970, São Paulo-SP, Brazil
- 2. Instituto de Matemática e Estatística, Universidade de São Paulo, Cx. Postal 66281, 05315-970, São Paulo-SP, Brazil