Semen analyses in adolescent diabetic patients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We studied the semen quality and plasma testosterone levels (T) in 32 adolescent patients with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and in an aged-matched control group. Semen volume, motility and morphology were significantly lower in diabetics whereas seminal fructose and glucose were significantly higher. Even though the sperm count was lower in these adolescent diabetics, the difference was not significant when compared to the control group. No difference was observed in plasma testosterone levels. Patients were divided into two groups according to the presence of retinopathy and neuropathy, and degree of metabolic control. Spermiogram parameters, seminal fructose and glucose were lower in diabetics with neuropathy. No difference was observed in spermiogram parameters between diabetic patients with or without retinopathy, but seminal fructose, and glucose were lower in the former. All spermiogram parameters, as well as seminal fructose were lower in diabetics with poor metabolic control but seminal glucose was higher. No correlation was detected between clinical parameters (age at onset and duration of diabetes mellitus and time since first ejaculation), semen parameters, plasma T, glycemia and glycosuria. In conclusion, a deterioration of the quality of human semen occurs in adolescent diabetic patients. Neuropathy and poor metabolic control seem to be important factors of this deterioration. The presence of retinopathy does not correlate with T and semen quality.
- Barták V.: Sperm quality in adult diabetic men — Int. J. Fertil.24, 226–232, 1979.
- Barták V., Josifko M., Horácková M.: Juvenile diabetes and human sperm quality — Int. J. Fertil.20, 30–32, 1975.
- Barták V., Visnák K.: Correlations between human seminal fructose, blood glucose, urinary 17-oxosteroids and plasma testosterone — Andrologia12, 294–297, 1980. CrossRef
- Berchtold P., Berger M., Güppera H. J., Herrmann J., Nieschlag E., Rudorff K., Zimmermann H., Krüskemper H. L.: Non-glucoregulatory hormones (T4, T3, rT3, testosterone) during physical exercise in juvenile-type diabetics — Hormone metab. Res.10, 269–273, 1978.
- Dondero F., Sciarra F., Isidori A.: Evaluation of relationship between plasma testosterone and human seminal citric acid — Fertil. and Steril.23, 168–171, 1972.
- Fliasson R.: Accurate determination of glucose to human semen — J. Reprod. Fertil.9, 325–330, 1965. CrossRef
- Eliasson R.: Standards for investigation of human semen — Andrologia3, 49–64, 1971. CrossRef
- Faerman I., Vilar O., Rivarola M. A., Rosner J. M., Jadzinksky M. N., Fox D., Pérez Lloret A., Bernstein-Hahn L., Saraceni D.: Impotence and diabetes. Studies of androgenic function in diabetic impotent males — Diabetes21, 23–30, 1972.
- Geisthövel V., Niedergerke U., Morgner K.-D., Willms B., Mitzkat H. J.: Studies on the androgen status of male diabetics with and without disturbance of potency — Diabetologia10, 365, 1974.
- King J.: Las liasas e isómeras. In:King J. (Ed.) Enzimología clínica práctica. Acribia, Zaragoza, 1968; p. 290–295.
- Klebanow D., MacLeod J.: Semen quality and certain disturbances of reproduction in diabetic men — Fertil. and Steril.11, 255–261, 1960.
- Kolodny R. C., Kahn C. B., Goldstein H. H., Barnett D. M.: Sexual dysfunction in diabetic men — Diabetes23, 306–309, 1974.
- Mann T.: The biochemistry of semen and of the male reproductive tract. Mauthen and Co., Ltd., London, 1964; pp. 37 and 254.
- Mann T., Parsons U.: Studies on the metabolism of semen 6. Role of hormones, effect of castration, hypophysectomy and diabetes. Relation between blood glucose and seminal fructose — Biochem. J.46, 440–450, 1950.
- Mann T., Rottenberg D. A.: The carbohydrate of human semen — J. Endocrinol.34, 257–264, 1966. CrossRef
- Neubauer M., Demisch K., Schoffling K.: Diabetische Sexualstörungen — Sexualmedizin1, 242–247, 1972.
- Padrón R. S.: Infertilidad masculina. Etiología, clínica y tratamiento. Thesis, Instituto Nacional de Endocrinología y Metabolism, Havana, 1972.
- Paz G., Homonnai Z. T., Ayalon D., Cordova T., Kraicer P.: Immunoreactive insulin in serum and seminal plasma of diabetic and nondiabetic men and its role in the regulation of spermatozoal activity — Fertil. Steril.28, 836–840, 1977.
- Paz G., Sofer A., Homonnai Z. T., Kraiger P. F.: Human semen analysis: seminal plasma and prostatic fluid compositions and their interrelations with sperm quality. — Int. J. Fertil.21, 140–147, 1977.
- Rodríguez-Rigau L. J.: Diabetes and male reproductive function — J. Androl.1, 105–110, 1980.
- Rubin A.: Studies in human reproduction IV. Diabetes mellitus and seminal deficiency — Amer. J. Obstetr. Gynecol.83, 200–202, 1960.
- Scaffidi V., Notarbartolo A., Scaffidi L.: La compromissione gonado-sessuale dell’uomo diabetico — Minerva med.69, 1603–1617, 1978.
- Shahwan M. M., Spathis G. S., Fry D. E., Wood P. J., Marks V.: Differences in pituitary and testicular function between diabetic patients on insulin and oral anti-diabetic agents — Diabetologia15, 13–17, 1978. CrossRef
- Spellacy W. N., Cantor B., Snydle F., Buhi W. C., Birk A.: Carbohydrate metabolism and the semen profile: glucose, insulin, and sperm studies — Fertil. and Steril.32, 562–565, 1978.
- Wright A. D., London D. R., Holder G., Williams J. W., Rudd B. T.: Luteinizing release hormone tests in impotent diabetic males — Diabetes25, 975–977, 1976. CrossRef
- Semen analyses in adolescent diabetic patients
Acta diabetologia latina
Volume 21, Issue 2 , pp 115-121
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Adolescent diabetics
- Diabetic metabolic control
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Plasma testosterone
- Semen analyses
- Seminal biochemistry
- Industry Sectors