Presence of carpal tunnel syndrome in diabetics: Effect of age, sex, diabetes duration and polyneuropathy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Common thought is that diabetic neuropathy is a predisposing factor to entrapment syndromes. Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is the most frequent entrapment neuropathy; females and old people are most frequently affected (Comi et al., 1978). Prevalence of CTS in diabetics and associated risk factors were studied in 401 patients (208 males and 193 females) with insulin-dependent and non-insulin-dependent diabetes using electrophysiological techniques. Median nerve sensory and motor conduction velocity, ulnar and peroneal nerve motor conduction velocity and sural nerve sensory conduction velocity were investigated in all patients. Diagnostic criteria for CTS were the presence of delayed median nerve sensory conduction velocity in the palm-wrist tract and of increased distal motor latency. Polyneuropathy was defined by slowing-down of conduction velocity in two or more nerves. Forty-five patients (11.2%), 36 females and 9 males, showed CTS. One-hundred-sixty-eight patients (41.8%), 74 females and 94 males, were suffering from peripheral neuropathy. The strongest risk factors for CTS, in order of importance, were: female sex, older age and presence of neuropathy. Polyneuropathy but not CTS was related to duration of diabetes.
- Blodgett R. G., Lippscomb P. R., Hill R. W.: Incidence of haematologic disease in patients with carpal tunnel syndrome — J. Amer. med. Ass.182, 814, 1962.
- Comi G., Gualtieri G., Rodocanachi M., Lozza L.: Idiopathic carpal tunnel syndrome: a clinical and electrophysiological study of 50 patients. In:Canal N., Pozza G. (Eds): Peripheral neuropathies. Elsevier/North Holland Biomedical Press, Amsterdam-New York, 1978, p. 337.
- Mulder D. W., Lambert E. H., Bartron J. A., Sprague R. G.: The neuropathies associated with diabetes mellitus: a clinical and electromyographic study of 103 unselected diabetic patients — Neurology11, 275, 1961. CrossRef
- Thiele B., Schiffter-Retzlaw I.: Carpal tunnel syndrome in a neurological practice. Int. Symposium on Peripheral Neuropathies, Milan 26–28 June 1978.
- Presence of carpal tunnel syndrome in diabetics: Effect of age, sex, diabetes duration and polyneuropathy
Acta diabetologia latina
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 259-262
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Diabetic peripheral neuropathy
- Entrapment neuropathy
- Industry Sectors