Functional modifications of endocrine pancreas after internal biliary fistula (experimental research)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The function of the B-insular system has been explored in dogs with total internal biliary fistula (cholecysto-jejunostomy after closure of the common bile duct), an operation which causes an increase in the number and total volume of pancreatic islets. Two groups of 10 animals each were either submitted to operation or used as controls. The endocrine function of the pancreas was explored 45–60 days after surgery by assessing basal blood glucose and serum insulin. IVGTT and i.v. tolbutamide test were performed subsequently. The results indicate that in operated animals the ability to release insulin after stimulation is increased and that the control of basal hormone secretion is fully preserved.
- Creutzfeldt W., Czyzyk A. (Eds): On the intravenous tolbutamide test — Casa Ed. ‘Il Ponte’, Milano, 1967; Acta diabet. lat.4 (Suppl. 1), 1967.
- Ermini M., Seccia M., Evangelista G.: Modifications of pancreatic islet tissue after internal biliary fistula (experimental research) — Acta diabet. lat.12, 150, 1975.
- Hales C. N., Randle P. J.: Immunoassay of insulin with insulin-antibody precipitate — Biochem. J.88, 137, 1963.
- Ketterer H., Feurle G., Creutzfeldt W.: Effect of the gastrointestinal hormones on the secretion of insulin and glucagonin vivo — In:Creutzfeldt W. (Ed.): Origin, chemistry, physiology and pathophysiology of the gastrointestinal hormones. International Symposium, Wiesbaden, October 24 and 25, 1969. F. K. Schattauer, Stuttgart-New York, 1970; p. 199.
- Laughton N. B., Macallum A. B.: The relation of the duodenal mucosa to the internal secretion of the pancreas — Proc. roy. Soc. B111, 37, 1932. CrossRef
- Laurent J., Debry G., Floquet J.: Hypoglycemic tumours — Excerpta Medica Foundation, Amsterdam, 1971.
- McIntyre N., Holdsworth C. D., Turner D. S.: Intestinal factors in the control of insulin secretion — J. clin. Endocr.25, 1317, 1965. CrossRef
- Turner D. S.: Gastrointestinal hormones and insulin secretionin vivo — In:Creutzfeldt W. (Ed.): Origin, chemistry, physiology and pathophysiology of the gastrointestinal hormones. International Symposium, Wiesbaden, October 24 and 25, 1969. F. K. Schattauer, Stuttgart-New York, 1970; p. 171.
- Unger R. H., Eisentraut A. M.: Enteroinsular axis — Arch. intern. Med.123, 261, 1969. CrossRef
- Functional modifications of endocrine pancreas after internal biliary fistula (experimental research)
Acta diabetologia latina
Volume 15, Issue 5-6 , pp 303-309
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Biliary fistula
- Endocrine pancreas
- Experimental biliary fistula
- Internal biliary fistula
- Industry Sectors