Transrectal drainage of pelvic abscesses
- Dr Charles O. Finne III Maj, MC
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In the past 20 years few reports of transrectal drainage of pelvic abscesses have been published in the English language other than brief discussions in standard textbooks. During the past five years nine patients with pelvic abscesses have been treated successfully by this method. There were no deaths and morbidity was minimal. These cases are reviewed and the indications and techniques of operation discussed.
- Stone HH, Sanders SL, Martin JD Jr. Perforated appendicitis in children. Surgery 1971; 69: 673–9.
- Stone HH. Perforated appendix in children. Am Fam Physician 1971 Dec 4:60–8.
- Fender HR. Complications of appendicitis. Primary Care 1976 Nov 9:59–63.
- Gouglas B, Vesey B.Bacteroides: a cause of residual abscess? J Pediatr Surg 1975; 10: 215–20. CrossRef
- Vakili C. Operative treatment of appendix mass. Am J Surg 1976; 131: 312–4. CrossRef
- Sadrieh M, Farpour A. Acute appendicitis—review of 970 cases. Am J Proctol 1975 Feb 26:51–6.
- Boles EJ Jr, Ireton RJ, Clatworthy HW Jr. Acute appendicitis in children. Arch Surg 1959: 79: 447–54.
- Drew EJ: Acute appendicitis with perforation: a review of the cases in Iowa Lutheran Hospital over a thirteen year period. Am J Surg 1965: 109: 464–5. CrossRef
- Hubbell DS, Barton WK, Solomon OD. Appendicitis in older people. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1960; 110: 289–92.
- Ross FP, Zarem HA, Morgan AP. Appendicitis in a community hospital: a decreasing but still dangerous disease. Arch Surg 1962; 85: 1036–41.
- Egdahl RH: Current mortality in appendicitis. Am J Surg 1964: 107: 757–9. CrossRef
- Marchildon MB, Dudgeon DL. Perforated appeandicitis: current experience in a childrens hospital. Ann Surg 1977; 185: 84–7. CrossRef
- Holgersen LO, Stanley-Brown EG. Acute appendicitis with perforation. Am J Dis Child 1971; 122: 288–93.
- Swink RL. Five hundred operations for appendicitis. Am Surg 1969; 35: 149–51.
- Ackerman NB. The continuing problems of perforated appendicitis. Surg Gyencol Obstet 1974; 139: 29–32.
- Mittelpunkt A, Nora PF: Current features in the treatment of acute appendicitis: an analysis of 1,000 consecutive cases. Surgery 1966; 60: 971–5.
- Hoffman HC. Perforated appendicitis: a 30-year review at the Swedish Hospital Medical Center. Am Surg 1968; 34: 534–7.
- Lansden FT. Acute appendicitis in children. Am J Surg 1963; 106: 938–42. CrossRef
- Grosfeld JL, Solit RW. Prevention of wound infection in perforated appendicitis: experience with delayed primary wound closure. Ann Surg 1968; 168: 891–5. CrossRef
- Maddox JR Jr, Johnson WW, Sergeant CK. Appendectomies in a children's hospital: a five-year survey. Arch Surg 1964; 89: 223–5.
- Martin JD Jr, Brice BS, Jones FC, Smith CA. The increasing incidence of perforated appendicitis. South Med J 1963; 56: 953–8.
- Vinnicombe J. Appendicetomy wound infection, drinage, and antibiotics. Br J Surg 1964; 51: 328–31. CrossRef
- Boland FK. Results in the treatment of acute appendicitis: review of 4,270 cases in Atlanta. JAMA 1932; 99: 443–8.
- Lewis FR, Holcroft JW, Boey J, Dunphy JE. Appendicitis: a critical review of diagnosis and treatment in 1,000 cases. Arch Surg 1975; 110: 677–84.
- Cunningham FG, McCubbin JH. Appendicitis complicating pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 1975; 45: 415–20.
- Morello DC, Matsumoto T. Intra-abdominal abscess. Am Surg 1973; 39: 319–22.
- Altemeier WA, Culbertson WR, Fullen WD, Shook CD. Intra-abdomial abscesses. Am J Surg 1973; 125: 70–9. CrossRef
- Maingot R. Abdominal operations. 5th ed. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1969; 2: 1370.
- Schwartz SI, ed. Principles of surgery. New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1969; 1165.
- Hardy JD, ed. Rhoads textbook of surgery; principles and pratice. 5th ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1977: 1110–12.
- Wenegarner FG: Management of intra-abdominal sepsis. Am J Surg 1970; 120: 743–6. CrossRef
- Franklin EW III, Hevron JE Jr, Thompson JD. Management of the pelvic abscess. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1973; 16: 66–79. CrossRef
- Rubenstein PR, Mishell DR Jr, Ledger WJ. Colpotomy drainage of pelvic abscess. Obstet Gynecol 1976; 48: 142–5.
- Kaplan AL, Jacobs WM, Ehresman JB: Aggressive management of pelvic abscess. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1967; 98: 482–7.
- Johnson CG, Collins CC, Webster HB Jr. Pelvic abscess. South Med J 1952; 45: 926–33.
- Vermeeren J, Te Linde RW. Intra-abdominal rupture of pelvic abscesses. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1954; 68: 402–9.
- McNamara MT, Mead PB. Diagnosis and management of the pelvic abscess. J Reprod Med 1976; 17: 299–304.
- Ledger WJ, Campbell C, Taylor D, Willson JR. Adnexal abscess as a late complication of pelvic operations. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1969; 129: 973–8.
- Nebel WA, Lucas WE. Management of tubo-ovarian abscess. Obstet Gynecol 1968; 32: 382–6.
- Collins CG, Jansen FW. Treatment of pelvic abscess. Clin Obstet Gynecol 1959 Jan 2: 512–22.
- Robson MC, Krizek TJ, Heggers JP. Biology of surgical infection. Curr Probl Surg 1973 Mar: 1–62.
- Condon RE: Preparation of the colon with neomycin-erythromycin. In: Varco RL, Delaney JP, eds. Controversy in surgery. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1976: 15–25.
- Transrectal drainage of pelvic abscesses
Diseases of the Colon & Rectum
Volume 23, Issue 5 , pp 293-297
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Abscess, pelvic
- Pelvis, abscess
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Brooke Army Medical Center, Ft. Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas