The set of axiom A diffeomorphisms with no cycles
- Nobuo Aoki
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
LetM be aC ∞ closed manifold and Diff1 (M) be the space of diffeomorphisms ofM endowed with theC 1 topology. This paper contains an affirmative answer to the following conjecture raised by Mañé, which is an extension of the stability and Ω-stability conjectures of Palis and Smale, as follows: theC 1 interior of the subset of diffeomorphism such that all the periodic points are hyperbolic is characterized as the set of diffeomorphisms satisfying Axiom A and the no-cycles condition. Moreover, it is showed that theC 1 interior of the set of all Kupka-Smale diffeomorphisms coincides with the set of all diffeomorphisms satisfying Axiom A and the strong transversality condition.
- [An] D. Anosov,Geodesic flows on closed Riemannian manifolds of negative curvature. AMS translation, Amer. Math. Soc., 1969.
- [Ao] N. Aoki,The set of Axiom A diffeomorphisms with no cycle, the International Conference on Dynamical Systems and Related Topics (ed. by K. Shiraiwa), World Sci., Singapore (1991).
- [Do] C. Doering,Persistently transitive vector fields on three- dimensional manifolds, Dynam. Sys. Bifur. Th. (I, Camacho, M. J. Pacifico and F. Takens, Ed.) Pitman Research Notes in Math. Series160 (1987), 59–89.
- [De] W. de Melo,Structural stability of diffeomorphisms on two-manifolds, Invent. Math.21 (1973), 233–246. CrossRef
- [Fr1] J. Franks,Necessary conditions for stability of diffeomorphisms, Trans. AMS158 (1971), 301–308. CrossRef
- [Fr2] —,Constructing structurally stable diffeomorphisms, Ann. of Math.105 (1977), 343–359. CrossRef
- [FrRo] J. Franks and C. Robinson,A quasi-Anosov diffeomorphism that is not Anosov, Trans. AMS223 (1976), 267–278. CrossRef
- [Gu] J. Guckenheimer,A strange attractor, in the Hopf bifurcation and its application. Applied Math. Sertes19, Springer-Verlag, New York (1976), 165–178.
- [HiPu] M. Hirsch and C. Pugh,Stable manifolds and hyperbolic sets, Proc. Symp. in Pure Math.14 (1970), 133–163.
- [HiPalPuSh] M. Hirsch, J. Palis, C. Pugh and M. Shub,Neighborhoods of hyperbolic sets, Invent. Math.9 (1970), 121–134. CrossRef
- [H] S. Hu,A proof of C 1 stability conjecture for 3 dim flows, preprint (1989).
- [Hu] M. Hurley,Combined structural and topological stability are equivalent to Axiom A and the strong transversality condition, Erg. Th. and Dynam. Sys.4 (1984), 81–88.
- [LP] R. Labarca and M. J. Pacifico,Stability of singular horseshoes, Topology25 (1978), 337–352. CrossRef
- [Li] S. T. Liao,On the stability conjecture, Chinese Ann. Math.1 (1980), 9–30.
- [M] I. Malta,On Ω-stability of flows, vol. 11, Bol. Soc. Brasil Mat., 1980.
- [Ma1] R. Mañé,On infinitesimal and absolute stability of diffeomorphisms, Dynam. Sys. Warwick, Lecture Notes in Math.468, Springer-Verlag (1974), 151–161.
- [Ma2] R. Mañé,Expansive diffeomorphisms, Dynam. Sys. Warwick, Lecture Notes in Math. 468, Springer-Verlag (1974), 162–174.
- [Ma3] —,Contribution to the stability conjecture, Topology17 (1978), 383–396. CrossRef
- [Ma4] —,An ergodic closing lemma, Ann. of Math.116 (1982), 503–540. CrossRef
- [Ma5] —,On the creation of homoclinic points, Publ. Math. IHES66 (1987), 139–159.
- [Ma6] —,A proof of the C 1 stability conjecture, Publ. Math. IHES66 (1987), 161–210.
- [Mo] K. Moriyasu,The topological stability of diffeomorphisms, Nagoya Math. J.123 (1991), 91–102.
- [Mos] J. Moser,On a theorem of Anosov, J. Diff. Equat.5 (1969), 411–440. CrossRef
- [Ne1] S. Newhouse,Non density of Axiom A(a) on S 2Proc. AMS, Symp. Pure Math.14 (1970), 191–202.
- [Ne2] —,Hyperbolic limit sets, Trans AMS167 (1972), 125–150. CrossRef
- [Ne3] —,On codimension one Anosov diffeomorphisms, Amer. J. Math.92 (1972), 761–770. CrossRef
- [NPal] S. Newhouse and J. Palis,Hyperbolic non-wandering sets on two dimensional manifolds, Dynam. Series (M. Peixoto, Ed) Academic Press, New York.
- [P] M. J. Pacifico,Structural stability of vector fields on 3-manifolds with boundary, J. Diff. Equat.54 (1984), 346–372. CrossRef
- [Pal1] J. Palis,On Morse-Smale dynamical systems, Topology8 (1969), 385–404. CrossRef
- [Pal2] —,A note on Ω-stability, Proc. AMS, Symp. in Pure Math.14 (1970), 221–222.
- [Pal3] —,On the C 1 Ω-stability conjecture, Publ. Math. IHES66 (1987), 211–215.
- [PalSm] J. Palis and S. Smale,Structural stability theorems, Proc. AMS, Symp. Pure Math.14 (1970), 223–232.
- [Pa] S. Patterson,Ω-stability is not dense in Axiom A, Erg. Th. and Dynam. Sys.8 (1988), 621–632.
- [Pe] M. Peixoto,Structural stability on two dimensional manifolds, Topology1 (1962), 101–120. CrossRef
- [Pl] V. A. Pliss,On a conjecture due to Smale, Diff. Uravneija8 (1972), 268–282.
- [PuSh] C. Pugh and M. Shub,The Ω-stability theorems for flows, Invent. Math.11 (1970), 150–158. CrossRef
- [PuRo] C. Pugh and C. Robinson,The C 1 closing lemma, including Hamiltonians, Erg. Th. and Dynam. Sys.3 (1983), 261–313.
- [R1] J. Robbin,A structural stability theorem, Ann. of Math.11 (1971), 447–493. CrossRef
- [R2] —,Topological conjugacy and structural stability for discrete dynamical systems, Bull AMS78 (1972), 923–952.
- [Ro1] C. Robinson,C r structural stability implies Kupka-Smale, Dynam. Sys. (M. Peixoto, Ed), Academic Press (1973), 443–449.
- [Ro2] —,Structural stability of vector fields, Ann of Math.99 (1974), 154–175. CrossRef
- [Ro3] —,Structural stability of C 1 flows, Lecture Nores in Math.468, Springer-Verlag, New York (1975), 262–277.
- [Ro4] —,Structural stability of C 1-diffeomorphisms, J. Diff. Equat.22 (1976), 28–73. CrossRef
- [Sak] K. Sakai, Diffeomorphisms with pseudo orbit tracing property, Nagoya Math. J. (to appear).
- [Sa] A. Sannami,The stability theorems for discrete dynamical systems on two-dimensional manifolds, Nagoya Math. J.90 (1983), 1–55.
- [Sh1] M. Shub,Structurally stable diffeomorphism are dense, Bull. AMS78 (1972), 817–818.
- [Sh2] —,Stability and genericity for diffeomorphisms, Dynam. Sys. Pure Math. (M. Peixoto, Ed.), Academic Press, New York (1973), 492–514.
- [Sh3] —,Endomorphisms of compact differentiable manifolds, Amer. J. Math.91 (1969), 175–199. CrossRef
- [Sm1] S. Smale,Diffeomorphisms with many periodic points, Differential and Combinatorial Topology (1965), 63–80, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton N. J..
- [Sm2] —,Structurally stable systems are not dense, Amer. J. Math.88 (1966), 490–496. CrossRef
- [Sm3] —,Differentiable dynamical systems, Bull. AMS73 (1967), 747–814.
- [Sm4] —,The Ω-stability theorem, Proc. Symp. Pure Math.14 (1970), 289–297, AMS.
- [Wi] R. Williams,The DA maps of Smale and structural stability, Proc. Symp. Pure Math.14, AMS (1970), 329–334.
- The set of axiom A diffeomorphisms with no cycles
Boletim da Sociedade Brasileira de Matemática - Bulletin/Brazilian Mathematical Society
Volume 23, Issue 1-2 , pp 21-65
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Nobuo Aoki (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Japan