Lysinoalanine: Production, significance and control in preparation and use of soya and other food proteins
- B. J. Struthers
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Formation of lysinoalanine (LAL) in proteins in response to alkali treatment is a well-known phenomenon. The quantity of LAL formed depends on temperature, the time of exposure to alkali, the type of protein, the concentration of protein and alkali in some instances, and probably the type of cation in the alkaline solution. Higher temperatures, longer exposure times, and higher pH’s generally result in more LAL formation. The addition of mercaptoethanol or cysteine to an alkaline protein solution decreases LAL formation markedly; lanthionine is apparently a major product formed when cysteine is added to an alkaline protein solution. Some LAL is likely to be formed in any protein-containing product that is subjected to alkaline treatment, and has been shown to be formed in some protein products under extreme heat conditions. Proper control of temperature and pH in processing can reduce or eliminate LAL formation. LAL has not been shown to present a toxicological hazard to any species other than the rat. Its presence in large quantities in any protein indicates destruction of cysteine and lysine; the nutritional inferiority of severely alkali- or heat-treated proteins due to LAL formation, amino acid degradation and isomerization, Maillard product formation, and so on is well documented. The small quantities of dietary LAL in food products currently on the market seem to represent no health hazard; the reduced nutritional quality of protein products that contain relatively high levels of LAL should be considered when these products are major sources of dietary protein.
- Walsh, R.G., A.S. Nashef and R.E. Feeney, Int. J. Peptide Protein Res. 14:290 (1979). CrossRef
- Bohak, Z. J. Biol. Chem. 239:2878 (1964).
- DeGroot, A.P., P. Slump, L. Van Beek and V.J. Feron, in “Evaluation of Protein for Humans,” edited by C.E. Bodwell, AVI, Westport, 1977, pp. 270–283.
- DeRham, O., P. Van de Revaart, E. Bujard, F. Mottu and J. Hidalgo, Cereal Chem. 54:238 (1977).
- Hasegawa, K., and N. Okamoto, Agric. Biol. Chem. 44:649 (1980).
- Provansal, M.M.P., J.-L.A. Cuq and J.-C. Cheftel, J. Agric. Food Chem. 23:938 (1975). CrossRef
- Hayashi, R., and I. Kameda, Agric. Biol. Chem. 44:175 (1980).
- Karayiannis, N.I., J.T. MacGregor and L.F. Bjeldanes, Food Cosmet. Toxicol. 17:585 (1979). CrossRef
- Creamer, L.K., and A.R. Matheson, J. Dairy Sci. Technol., N. 2, 12:253 (1977).
- Sternberg, M.M., C.Y. Kim and F.J. Schwende, Science 190:992 (1975). CrossRef
- Aymard, C., J.-L. Cuq and J.-C. Cheftel, Food Chem. 3:1 (1978). CrossRef
- Struthers, B.J., R.R. Dahlgren, D.T. Hopkins and M.L. Raymond, in “Soy Protein and Human Nutrition,” edited by H. Wilcke, D.T. Hopkins and D.H. Waggle, 1979, pp. 235–260.
- Raymond, M.L., J. Food Sci. 45:56 (1980). CrossRef
- Finley, J.W., J.T. Snow, P.H. Johnston and M. Friedman, Adv. Exp. Biol. Med. 86 B:85 (1977).
- Chu, N.T., P.L. Pellett and W.W. Nawar, Agric. Food Chem. 24: 1084 (1976). CrossRef
- Sanderson, J., J.S. Wall, G.L. Donaldson and J.F. Cavins, Cereal Chem. 55:204 (1978).
- Karayiannis, N.I., J.T. MacGregor and L.F. Bjeldanes. Food Cosmet. Toxicol. 17:591 (1979). CrossRef
- Struthers, B.J., R.R. Dahlgren and D.T. Hopkins, J. Nutr. 107:1190 (1977).
- DeGroot, A.P., P. Slump, V.J. Feron and L. Van Beek. Ibid. 106:1527 (1976).
- Van Beek, L., V.J. Feron and A.P. DeGroot, Ibid. 104:1630 (1974).
- Struthers, B.J., D.T. Hopkins, E.E. Prescher and R.R. Dahlgren, Ibid. 108:954 (1978).
- Lysinoalanine: Production, significance and control in preparation and use of soya and other food proteins
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 58, Issue 3 , pp 501-503
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- B. J. Struthers (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Ralston Purina Company, 63188, St. Louis, MO