The ellipsoid method and its consequences in combinatorial optimization
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
L. G. Khachiyan recently published a polynomial algorithm to check feasibility of a system of linear inequalities. The method is an adaptation of an algorithm proposed by Shor for non-linear optimization problems. In this paper we show that the method also yields interesting results in combinatorial optimization. Thus it yields polynomial algorithms for vertex packing in perfect graphs; for the matching and matroid intersection problems; for optimum covering of directed cuts of a digraph; for the minimum value of a submodular set function; and for other important combinatorial problems. On the negative side, it yields a proof that weighted fractional chromatic number is NP-hard.
- Chu Yoeng-jin andLiu Tseng-hung, On the shortest arborescence of a directed graph,Scientia Sinica 4 (1965) 1396–1400.
- E. W. Dijkstra, A note on two problems in connexion with graphs,Numer. Math. 1 (1959) 269–271. CrossRef
- J. Edmonds, Maximum matching and a polyhedron with 0, 1-vertices,J. Res. Nat. Bur. Standards Sect. B 69 (1965) 125–130.
- J. Edmonds, Optimum branchings,J. Res. Nat. Bur. Standards Sect. B 71 (1967) 233–240.
- J. Edmonds, Submodular functions, matroids, and certain polyhedra, in:Combinatorial structures and their applications, Proc. Intern. Conf. Calgary, Alb., 1969 (R. Guy, H. Hanani, N. Sauer, and J. Schönheim, eds.), Gordon and Breach, New York, 1970, 69–87.
- J. Edmonds andE. L. Johnson, Matching: a well-solved class of integer linear programs, —ibid. 89–92.
- J. Edmonds, Edge-disjoint branchings, in:Combinatorial algorithms, Courant Comp. Sci. Symp. Monterey, Ca., 1972 (R. Rustin, ed.), Acad. Press, New York, 1973, 91–96.
- J. Edmonds, Matroid intersection,Annals of Discrete Math. 4 (1979) 39–49.
- J. Edmonds andR. Giles, A min-max relation for submodular functions on graphs,Annals of Discrete Math. 1 (1977) 185–204. CrossRef
- J. Edmonds andE. L. Johnson, Matching, Euler tours and the Chinese postman,Math. Programming 5 (1973) 88–124. CrossRef
- L. R. Ford andD. R. Fulkerson, Maximum flow through a network,Canad. J. Math. 8 (1956) 399–404.
- L. R. Ford andD. R. Fulkerson,Flows in networks, Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N. J., 1962.
- A. Frank, On the orientations of graphs,J. Combinatorial Theory (B) 28 (1980) 251–260. CrossRef
- A. Frank, Kernel systems of directed graphs,Acta Sci. Math. (Szeged)41 (1979) 63–76.
- A. Frank, How to make a digraph strongly connected,Combinatorica 1 (2) (1981) 145–153.
- D. R. Fulkerson, Networks, frames, and blocking systems, in:Mathematics of the decision sciences, Part I (G. B. Dantzig and A. F. Veinott, eds.), Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R. I., 1968, 303–334.
- D. R. Fulkerson, Blocking polyhedra, in:Graph theory and its applications, Proc. adv. Seminar Madison, Wis., 1969 (B. Harris, ed.), Acad. Press, New York, 1970, 93–112.
- D. R. Fulkerson, Packing rooted directed cuts in a weighted directed graph,Math. Programming 6 (1974) 1–13. CrossRef
- P. Gács andL. Lovász, Khachiyan’s algorithm for linear programming,Math. Programming Studies 14 (1981) 61–68.
- M. R. Garey andD. S. Johnson,Computers and intractability: a guide to the theory of NP-completeness, Freeman, San Francisco, 1979.
- A. J. Hoffman, Some recent applications of the theory of linear inequalities to extremal combinatorial analysis, in:Combinatorial analysis, Proc. 10th Symp. on Appl. Math. Columbia Univ., 1958 (R. E. Bellman and M. Hall, Jr, eds.), Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, R. I., 1960, 113–127.
- I. Holyer, The NP-completeness of edge-colouring,SIAM J. Comp., to appear.
- T. C. Hu, Multicommodity network flows,Operations Res. 11 (1963) 344–360. CrossRef
- T. C. Hu, Two-commodity cut-packing problem,Discrete Math. 4 (1973) 108–109.
- A. V. Karzanov, On the minimal number of arcs of a digraph meeting all its directed cutsets,to appear.
- L. G. Khachiyan, A polynomial algorithm in linear programming,Doklady Akademii Nauk SSSR 244 (1979) 1093–1096 (English translation:Soviet Math. Dokl. 20, 191–194).
- E. L. Lawler, Optimal matroid intersections, in:Combinatorial structures and their applications, Proc. Intern. Conf. Calgary, Alb., 1969 (R. Guy, H. Hanani, N. Sauer, and J. Schönheim, eds.), Gordon and Breach, New York, 1970, 233–235.
- E. L. Lawler,Combinatorial optimization: networks and matroids, Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, 1976.
- L. Lovász, Normal hypergraphs and the perfect graph conjecture,Discrete Math. 2 (1972) 253–267. CrossRef
- L. Lovász, 2-Matchings and 2-covers of hypergraphs,Acta Math. Acad. Sci. Hungar. 26 (1975) 433–444. CrossRef
- L. Lovász, The matroid matching problem,Proc. Conf. Algebraic Methods in Graph Theory (Szeged, 1978), to appear.
- L. Lovász, On the Shannon capacity of a graph,IEEE Trans. on Information Theory 25 (1979) 1–7. CrossRef
- L. Lovász, Perfect graphs, in:More selected topics in graph theory (L. W. Beineke and R. J. Wilson, eds), to appear
- C. L. Lucchesi, A minimax equality for directed graphs,Doctoral Thesis, Univ. Waterloo, Waterloo, Ont., 1976.
- C. L. Lucchesi andD. H. Younger, A minimax relation for directed graphs,J. London Math. Soc. (2) 17 (1978) 369–374. CrossRef
- G. J. Minty, On maximal independent sets of vertices in claw-free graphs,J. Combinatorial Theory (B),28 (1980) 284–304. CrossRef
- T. S. Motzkin andI. J. Schoenberg, The relaxation method for linear inequalities,Canad. J. Math. 6 (1954) 393–404.
- H. Okamura andP. D. Seymour, Multicommodity flows in planar graphs,J. Combinatorial Theory (B), to appear.
- M. W. Padberg andM. R. Rao, Minimum cut-sets and b-matchings,to appear.
- A. Schrijver, A counterexample to a conjecture of Edmonds and Giles,Discrete Math. 32 (1980) 213–214.
- P. D. Seymour, The matroids with the max-flow min-cut property,J. Combinatorial Theory (B) 23 (1977) 189–222. CrossRef
- P. D. Seymour, A two-commodity cut theorem,Discrete Math. 23 (1978) 177–181. CrossRef
- N. Z. Shor, Convergence rate of the gradient descent method with dilatation of the space,Kibernetika 2 (1970) 80–85 (English translation:Cybernetics 6 (1970) 102–108).
- The ellipsoid method and its consequences in combinatorial optimization
Volume 1, Issue 2 , pp 169-197
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- 90 C XX, 05 C XX
- 90 C 25, 90 C 10
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Universität Bonn, Inst. für Ökonometrie und Operations Research, D-5300, Bonn, F.R.G.
- 2. Bolyai Institute, A. József University, H-6720, Szeged, Hungary
- 3. Inst. Actuariaat en Econometrie, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands