Fast parallel and sequential computations and spectral properties concerning band Toeplitz matrices
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We exhibit fast computational methods for the evaluation of the determinant and the characteristic polynomial of a (2k+1)-diagonal Toeplitz matrix with elements in the complex field, either for sequential or for parallel computations. A fast algorithm, to achieve one step of Newton's method, is shown to be suitable to compute the eigenvalues of such a matrix. Bounds to the eigenvalues and necessary and sufficient conditions for positive definiteness, which are easy to check, are given either for matrices with scalar elements or for matrices with blocks. In the case in which the blocks are themselves band Toeplitz matrices such conditions assume a very simple form.
- E. L. Allgower,Criteria for positive definiteness of some band matrices. Numer. Math.16, (1970) 157–162. CrossRef
- Anil K. Jain,Fast inversion of banded Toeplitz matrices by circular decompositions. (1978) IEEE Trans. on Acoustic Speech, and Signal Processing vol. ASSP-26, (2).
- D. Bini, M. Capovani,Spectral and computational properties of band symmetric Toeplitz matrices, to appear in Linear Algebra and Appl.,
- P. J. Davis,Circulant Matrices, John Wiley and Sons, Inc., 1979.
- D. J. Evans,A recursive algorithm for determining the eigenvalues of a quindiagonal matrix. The Computer Journal18, (1975) 70–75. CrossRef
- J. Grcar, A. Sameh,On certain parallel Toeplitz linear system solvers. SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comput. (2)2, (1981).
- U. Greenander, G. Szegö,Toeplitz forms and their applications. (1958). University of California Press. Berkeley-Los Angeles.
- A. J. Householder,The Theory of Matrices in Numerical Analysis. (1964). Blaisdell.
- S. V. Parter,An observation on the numerical solution of difference equations and a theorem of Szegö. Numer. Math.4, (1962) 293–295. CrossRef
- M. Pease,A adaptation of the fast Fourier transform for parallel processing. J. of ACM15, (1968) 252–264. CrossRef
- G. Peters, J. H. Wilkinson,Eigenvalues of Ax=λBx with band symmetric A and B. The Comput. J.12, (1969), 398–404. CrossRef
- W. A. Sentance, I. P. Cliff,The determination of eigenvalues of symmetric quindiagonal matrices. The Comput. J.24, (1981), 177–179. CrossRef
- J. Stoer, R. Bulirsch,Introduction to Numerical Analysis. Springer Verlag, Berlin 1980.
- Fast parallel and sequential computations and spectral properties concerning band Toeplitz matrices
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 177-189
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links