Effects of electron beam irradiation on cork volatile compounds by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of electron beam irradiation on cork volatile compounds was studied at different doses (25, 100, 1000 kGy). Volatiles were isolated from cork using the dynamic headspace-sampling technique, then identified by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS). Similar gas chromatographic profiles were obtained for non-irradiated and irradiated corks. Quantitative differences induced by the three doses were evaluated by calculating peak areas for each compound identified. The quantitative differences between non-irradiated corks and those irradiated at 25 kGy were significant for only a few substances, whereas significant quantitative differences were found in samples irradiated at 100 and 1000 kGy. For these doses, the content of volatile compounds generally increased, especially that of aliphatic hydrocarbons and carbonyl compounds. The behaviour of radiolytic hydrocarbons indicates that the mechanisms proposed for their formation in irradiated foods could take place even in cork.
- T. H. Lee, R. F. Simpson, “Wine Microbiology and Biotechnology” G. H. Fleet, Ed., Harwood Academic Publ., Chur, 1994, p. 353.
- E. J. Waters, Z. Peng, K. F. Pocock, P. J. Williams, Austral. J. Grape Wine Res.2, 191 (1996). CrossRef
- H. Delincée, Ann. Fals. Exp. Chim.90, 331 (1997).
- J. Rochard, G. Romanet, G. Bureau, J. P. Gyr, Vigneron Champenois109, 19 (1988).
- V. Mazzoleni, P. Caldentey, M. Careri, A. Mangia, O. Colagrande, Am. J. Enol. Vitic.45, 401 (1994).
- H. Van der Dool, P. D. Kratz, J. Chromatogr.11, 463 (1963). CrossRef
- L. Mondello, P. Dugo, A. Cotroneo, A. Basile, G. Dugo, Proceedings 2o Congresso Chimica degli Alimenti, Giardini Naxos (Me), 24–27/5/95.
- K. C. Wong, F. Y. Lai, Flavour Fragrance J.11, 61 (1996). CrossRef
- G. R. Takeoka, R. A. Flath, M. Guntert, W. Jennings, J. Agric. Food Chem.36, 553 (1988). CrossRef
- L. Sagrero-Nieves, J. P. Bartley, Flavour Fragrance J.11, 49 (1996). CrossRef
- N. Narain, T. C. Y. Hsieh, C. E. Johnson, J. Food Sci.55, 1303 (1990). CrossRef
- F. Battistutta, L. S. Conte, R. Zironi, A. Carruba, C. Leto, T. Tuttamondo, Proceeding 2o Congresso Chimical degli Alimenti, Giardini Naxos (Me), 24–27/5/95.
- S. Rocha, I. Delgadillo, A. J. Ferrer Correia, J. Agric. Food Chem.44, 865 (1996). CrossRef
- S. Rocha, I. Delgadillo, A. J. Ferrer Correia, J. Agric. Food Chem.44, 872 (1996). CrossRef
- G. Fischbock, R. Kellner, W. Pfannhauser, Proceedings of the 5th International Flavor Conference, “Frontiers of flavor”, G. Charalambous, Ed., Porto Carras, Greece, 147 (1988).
- E. Marchioni, G. Jamet, C. Hasselmann, Ann. Fals Exp. Chim.90, 367 (1997).
- P. J. Holloway, Chem. Phys. Lipids9, 158 (1972). CrossRef
- Effects of electron beam irradiation on cork volatile compounds by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry
Volume 49, Issue 3-4 , pp 166-172
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Vieweg Verlag
- Additional Links
- Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry
- Dynamic headspace sampling
- Cork volatiles
- Electron beam irradiation
- Radiolysis-induced compounds
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dipartimento di Chimica Generale ed Inorganica, Chimica Analitica, Chimica Fisica, Università di Parma, Viale delle Scienze, 43100, Parma, Italy
- 2. Istituto di Enologia, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Via Emilia Parmense 84, 29100, Piacenza, Italy