Right cancellation in βS andUG
- M. Filali
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Let βS be the Stone-Ĉech compactification of an infinite discrete cancellative semigroupS. The set of points in the growth βS/S at which right cancellation holds in βS is shown to be dense in βS/S. It is then deduced that these type of points also form a dense subset ofUG/G, whenG is a non-compact locally compact abelian group andUG is its uniform compactification.
- Berglund, J. F., Junghenn, H. D., Milnes, P. (1989) Analysis on Semigroups: Function Spaces, Compactifications, Representations. Wiley, New York
- Burckel, R. B. (1970) Weakly almost periodic functions on semigroups. Gordon and Breach, New York
- Butcher, R. J., “The Stone-Ĉech compactification of a topological semigroup and its algebra of measures,” Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Sheffield, 1975.
- Ellis, R. (1969) Lectures on Topological Dynamics. Benjamin, New York
- Filali, M. (1990) The uniform compactification of a locally compact abelian group. Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 108: pp. 527-538
- Gillman, L., Jerison, M. (1960) Rings of Continuous Functions. Van Nostrand, New York
- Hewitt, E., Ross, K. A. (1963) Abstract harmonic analysis I. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Hindman, N. (1982) Minimal ideals and cancellation in βℕ. Semigroup Forum 125: pp. 291-310 CrossRef
- Hindman, N., Strauss, D. (1994) Cancellation in the Stone-Ĉech compactification of a discrete semigroup. Proc. Edinburgh Math. Soc. 37: pp. 379-397
- Kunen, K.,Weak P-points in N * , Coll. Math. Soc. János Bolyai,23, Topology, Budapest (Hungary), (1978), 741–749.
- van Mill J.,An Introduction to βω, “Handbook of set-theoretic topology,” Edited by K. Kunen and J. E. Vaughan, Elsevier Science Publishers B. V., 1984, 503–567.
- Parsons, D. J. (1984) The Centre of the second, dual of a commutative semigroup algebra. Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc. 95: pp. 71-92 CrossRef
- Rudin, W. (1956) Homogeneity Problems in the theory of Ĉech compactifications. Duke Math. J. 23: pp. 409-419 CrossRef
- Right cancellation in βS andUG
Volume 52, Issue 1 , pp 381-388
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- M. Filali (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Oulu, SF 90570, Finland