Right cancellation in βS andUG
- M. Filali
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Let βS be the Stone-Ĉech compactification of an infinite discrete cancellative semigroupS. The set of points in the growth βS/S at which right cancellation holds in βS is shown to be dense in βS/S. It is then deduced that these type of points also form a dense subset ofUG/G, whenG is a non-compact locally compact abelian group andUG is its uniform compactification.
- Berglund, J. F., H. D. Junghenn and P. Milnes, “Analysis on Semigroups: Function Spaces, Compactifications, Representations,” Wiley, New York, 1989.
- Burckel, R. B., “Weakly almost periodic functions on semigroups,” Gordon and Breach, New York, 1970.
- Butcher, R. J., “The Stone-Ĉech compactification of a topological semigroup and its algebra of measures,” Ph.D. Thesis, The University of Sheffield, 1975.
- Ellis, R., “Lectures on Topological Dynamics,” Benjamin, New York, 1969.
- Filali, M.,The uniform compactification of a locally compact abelian group, Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc.108 (1990), 527–538.
- Gillman, L., and M. Jerison, “Rings of Continuous Functions,” Van Nostrand, New York, 1960.
- Hewitt, E., and K. A. Ross, “Abstract harmonic analysis I,” Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1963.
- Hindman, N.,Minimal ideals and cancellation in βℕ, Semigroup Forum125 (1982), 291–310. CrossRef
- Hindman, N., and D. Strauss,Cancellation in the Stone-Ĉech compactification of a discrete semigroup, Proc. Edinburgh Math. Soc.37 (1994), 379–397.
- Kunen, K.,Weak P-points in N * , Coll. Math. Soc. János Bolyai,23, Topology, Budapest (Hungary), (1978), 741–749.
- van Mill J.,An Introduction to βω, “Handbook of set-theoretic topology,” Edited by K. Kunen and J. E. Vaughan, Elsevier Science Publishers B. V., 1984, 503–567.
- Parsons, D. J.,The Centre of the second, dual of a commutative semigroup algebra, Math. Proc. Cambridge Philos. Soc.95 (1984), 71–92. CrossRef
- Rudin, W.,Homogeneity Problems in the theory of Ĉech compactifications, Duke Math. J.23 (1956), 409–419. CrossRef
- Right cancellation in βS andUG
Volume 52, Issue 1 , pp 381-388
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- M. Filali (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Oulu, SF 90570, Finland