Sushruta: The father of Indian surgery and ophthalmology
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Sushruta is the most celebrated physician and surgeon in India. Though he practiced during the 5th century B.C., many of his contributions to medicine and surgery preceded similar discoveries in the Western world. Sushruta devotes a complete volume of his experiences to ophthalmologic diseases. In theUttar Tantrum, Sushruta enumerates a sophisticated classification of eye diseases complete with signs, symptoms, prognosis, and medical/surgical interventions. In particular, Sushruta describes what may have been the first extracapsular cataract surgery using a sharply pointed instrument with a handle fashioned into a trough. His ability to manage many common eye conditions of the time with limited diagnostic acids is a testament to his virtuosity.
- Sanyal, PK. A Story of Medicine and Pharmacy in India Calcutta; Navana Printing works Private Limited, 1964; 49–61.
- Prakash, Udaya: Shushruta of Ancient India. In Surgery: Gynecology and Obstetrics. Vol 146, February 1978. 263–272.
- Gordon, Benjamin Lee. Medicine Throughout Antiquity. Philadelphia; F. A. Davis Company, 1949; 313–346.
- Bender, George A. Great Moments in Medicine. Detroit; Northwood Institute Press, 1966; 13, 40–49.
- Graham, Harvey. The Story of Surgery. New York; Halcyon House, 1982; 44–49.
- Eisenberg I. A History of Rhinoplasty. SA Medical Journal 62: 286–292.
- Sigerist, Henry E. A History of Medicine. New York; Oxford University Press, 1955; 121–187.
- Baas, John Hermann. The History of Medicine and The Medical Profession. New York; Robert E. Kreiger Publishing Co., Inc., 1971; 38–51.
- Bhishagratna, Kaviraj Kunjalal. An English Translation of the Sushruta Samhita: Based on Original Sanskrit Text. Varanasi, India; Chowkhamba Sanskrit Series Office: 1–105.
- Roy, PN, Mehra, KS, Deshpande, PJ. Cataract Surgery Performed Before 800 B.C. British Journal of Ophthalmology 59: 171.
- Sushruta: The father of Indian surgery and ophthalmology
Volume 93, Issue 1-2 , pp 159-167
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links