Hyperlipidemia under treatment with proteinase inhibitors
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To define the extent and time course of HIV-proteinase inhibitor (PI) effects on serum lipid levels 148 patients on triple combination therapy including PIs and 91 patients on therapy with two nucleosides as a control group were evaluated. In the PI group there was a significant increase in total cholesterol after 3, 6 and 12 months compared to the base-line level (198, 204 and 203 vs. 176 mg/dl). The increase in triglycerides was 25.5% from the baseline at month 3. Indinavir had a significantly higher impact on cholesterol levels than saquinavir. No changes in lipids were seen in the control group. It was concluded that hyperlipidemia is associated with PI use, becomes evident within 3 months of treatment and seems to be substance specific.
- Carpenter, C. C., Fischl, M. A., Hammer, S. M., Hirsch, M. S., Jacobsen, D. M., Katzenstein, D. A., Montaner, J. S., Richman, D. D., Saag, M. S., Schooley, R. T., Thompson, M. A., Vella, S., Yeni, P. G., Volberding, P. A.: Antiretroviral therapy for HIV infection in 1996. Updated recommendations of the International AIDS Society, USA. JAMA 277 (1997) 1962–1969. CrossRef
- Lipsky, J. J.: Antiretroviral drugs for AIDS. Lancet 348 (1996) 800–803. CrossRef
- Gulick, R. M., Mellors, J. W., Havlir, D., Eron, J. J., Gonzalez, C., McMahon, D., Richman, D. D., Valentine, F. T., Jonas, L., Meibohm, A., Emini, A., Chodakewitz, A.: Treatment with indinavir, zidovudine, and lamivudine in adults with human immunodeficiency virus infection and prior antiretroviral therapy. N. Engl. J. Med. 337 (1997) 734–739. CrossRef
- Walli, R., Demant, T., Goebel, F. D.: Impaired glucose tolerance in HIV-infected patients treated with protease inhibitors is caused by peripheral insulin resistance. Ann. Intern. Med. 129 (1998) 837–838.
- Walli, R., Herfort, O., Michl, G. M., Demant, T., Jäger, H., Dieterle, C., Bogner, J. R., Landgraf, R., Goebel, F. D.: Treatment with protease inhibitors associated with peripheral insulin resistance and impaired oral glucose tolerance in HIV-1 infected patients. AIDS 12 (1998) F167-F173. CrossRef
- Viraben, R., Aqulina, C.: Indinavir-associated lipodystrophy. AIDS 12 (1998) F37-F39. CrossRef
- Carr, A., Samaras, K., Burton, S., Law, M., Freund, J., Chisholm, D. J., Cooper, D. A.: A syndrome of peripheral lipodystrophy, hyperlipidaemia and insulin resistance in patients receiving HIV protease inhibitors. AIDS 12 (1998) F51-F58. CrossRef
- Herry, I. L. B., Truchis, P., Perronne, C.: Hypertrophy of the breasts in a patient treated with indinavir. CID 25 (1997) 937–938.
- Castelli, W. P., Anderson, K., Wilson, P. W., Levy, D.: Lipids and risk of coronary heart disease. The Framingham Study. Ann. Epidemiol. 2 (1992) 23–28. CrossRef
- Leary, O. D. H., Anderson, K. M., Wolf, P. A., Evans, J. C., Poehlman, H. W.: Cholesterol and carotid atherosclerosis in older persons: the Framingham Study. Ann. Epidemiol. 2 (1992) 147–153. CrossRef
- The Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S): Randomised trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease. Lancet 344 (1994) 1383–1389.
- Carr, A., Samaras, K., Chisholm, D. J., Cooper, D. A.: Pathogenesis of HIV-1-protease inhibitor-associated peripheral lipodystrophy, hyperlipidaemia, and insulin resistance. Lancet 351 (1998) 1881–1883. CrossRef
- Hyperlipidemia under treatment with proteinase inhibitors
Volume 27, Issue 2 , pp 77-81
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Urban & Vogel
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors