On the number of vertices and edges of the Buneman graph
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In 1971, Peter Buneman proposed a way to construct a tree from a collection of pairwise compatible splits. This construction immediately generalizes to arbitrary collections of splits, and yields a connected median graph, called the Buneman graph. In this paper, we prove that the vertices and the edges of this graph can be described in a very simple way: given a collection of splitsS, the vertices of the Buneman graph correspond precisely to the subsetsS′ ofS such that the splits inS′ are pairwise incompatible and the edges correspond to pairs (S′, S) withS′ as above andS∈S′. Using this characterization, it is much more straightforward to construct the vertices of the Buneman graph than using prior constructions. We also recover as an immediate consequence of this enumeration that the Buneman graph is a tree, that is, that the number of vertices exceeds the number of edges (by one), if and only if any two distinct splits inS are compatible.
- H.-J. Bandelt, Phylogenetic networks, Verh. Naturwiss. Ver. Hamburg34 (1991) 51–57.
- H.-J. Bandelt and A. Dress, A canonical decomposition theory for metrics on a finite set, Adv. Math.92 (1992) 47–105. CrossRef
- P. Buneman, The recovery of trees from measures of dissimilarity, In: Mathematics in the Archeological and Historical Sciences, F. Hodson et al., Eds., Edinburgh University Press, 1971, pp. 387–395.
- J. Barthelemy, From copair hypergraphs to median graphs with latent vertices, Discrete Math.76 (1989) 9–28. CrossRef
- J. Barthelemy and A. Guenoche, Trees and Proximity Representations, John Wiley, 1991.
- A. Dress, D. Huson, and V. Moulton, Analyzing and visualizing distance data with the splitstree graph, Discrete Appl. Math.71 (1996) 95–110. CrossRef
- A. Dress, K. Huber, and V. Moulton, Some variations on a theme by Buneman, Ann. Combin.1, (1997) 339–352.
- On the number of vertices and edges of the Buneman graph
Annals of Combinatorics
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 329-337
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Buneman graphs
- split systems
- split decompositon
- phylogenetic networks
- phylogenetic trees
- median networks
- compatibility of taxonomic characters