The definition of the sentinel lymph node in melanoma based on radioactive counts
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There is no consensus on the definition of a hot, nonblue sentinel lymph node (SLN), despite the widespread use of radiocolloid in SLN mapping.
A retrospective review of 592 patients with malignant melanoma who underwent SLN mapping was performed. Ex vivo SLN counts and nodal bed counts were obtained by using a gamma probe. The size of each metastatic deposit in an SLN was defined as macrometastases (>2 mm), micrometastases (≤2 mm), a cluster of cells, or isolated melanoma cells.
A total of 1175 SLNs (SLN−, n=1041; SLN+, n=134) were evaluated. The mean SLN count/bed counts were SLN−, 322±980 and SLN+, 450±910 (not significant [NS]) (>2 mm, 270±792 [NS]; ≤2 mm, 446±693 [NS]; isolated melanoma cells/cluster of cells, 677±1189 [P=.036]). Overall, 16 (1.4%) of the SLNs collected had an overall ratio of ≤2. This included two positive SLNs (1.5%), both of which contained macrometatic disease. Forty-seven positive nodal basins had at least one negative SLN. The hottest SLNs in these basins were negative for metastatic disease in nine cases (19.1%). In one basin (2.1%), the positive SLN count was <10% of the hottest lymph node count.
Removal of lymph nodes until the bed count is 10% of the hottest lymph node will remove 98% of positive SLNs. Lymph node tumor burden influences radioactive counts.
- Morton DL, Wen DR, Wong JH, et al.. Technical details of intraoperative lymphatic mapping for early stage melanoma.Arch Surg 1992;127:392–9.
- Morton DL, Bostick PJ. Will the true sentinel node please stand?Ann Surg Oncol 1999;6:12–4. CrossRef
- Kapteijn BA, Nieweg OE, Muller SH, et al. Validation of gamma probe detection of the sentinel node in melanoma.J Nucl Med 1997;38:362–6.
- Albertini JJ, Cruse CW, Rapaport D et al. Intraoperative radiolympho-scintigraphy improves sentinel lymph node identification for patients with melanoma.Ann Surg 1996;223:217–24. CrossRef
- Alex JC, Weaver DL, Fairbank JT, Rankin BS, Krag DN. Gammaprobe-guided lymph node localization in malignant melanoma.Surg Oncol 1993;2:303–8. CrossRef
- Brobeil A, Kamath D, Cruse CW et al. The clinical relevance of sentinel lymph nodes identified with radiolymphoscintigraphy.J Fla Med Assoc 1997;84:157–60.
- Glass LF, Messina JL, Cruse W, et al. The use of intraoperative radiolymphoscintigraphy for sentinel node biopsy in patients with malignant melanoma.Dermatol Surg 1996;22:715–20. CrossRef
- Bostick P, Essner R, Sarantou T, et al. Intraoperative lymphatic mapping for early-stage melanoma of the head and neck.Am J Surg 1997;174:536–9. CrossRef
- Murray DR, Carlson GW, Greenlee R, et al. Surgical management of malignant melanoma using dynamic lymphoscintigraphy and gamma probe-guided sentinel lymph node biopsy: the Emory experience.Am Surg 2002;66:763–7.
- Dowlatshahi K, Fan M, Snider HC, Habib FA. Lymph node micrometastases from breast carcinoma: reviewing the dilemma.Cancer 1997;80:1188–97. CrossRef
- Hermanek P, Hutter RV, Sobin LH, Wittekind C. International Union Against Cancer. Classification of isolated tumor cells and micrometastasis.Cancer 1999;86:2668–73. CrossRef
- McMasters KM, Reintgen DS, Ross MI, et al. Sentinel lymph node biopsy for melanoma: how many radioactive nodes should be removed?Ann Surg Oncol 2001;8:192–7. CrossRef
- Carlson GW, Murray DR, Greenlee R, et al. Management of malignant melanoma of the head and neck using dynamic lymphoscintigraphy and gamma probe-guided sentinel lymph node biopsy.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2000;126:433–7.
- Bostick P, Essner R, Glass E, et al. Comparison of blue dye and probe-assisted intraoperative lymphatic mapping in melanoma to identify sentinel nodes in 100 lymphatic basins.Arch Surg 1999;134:43–9. CrossRef
- Faries MB, Bedrosian I, Reynolds C, Nguyen HQ, Alavi A, Czerniecki BJ. Active macromolecule uptake by lymph node antigen-presenting cells: a novel mechanism in determining sentinel lymph node status.Ann Surg Oncol 2000;7:98–105. CrossRef
- Hill AD, Tran KN, Akhurst T, et al. Lessons learned from 500 cases of lymphatic mapping for breast cancer.Ann Surg 1999;229:528–35. CrossRef
- Essner R, Bostick PJ, Glass EC, et al. Standardized probe-directed sentinel node dissection in melanoma.Surgery 2000;127:26–31. CrossRef
- The definition of the sentinel lymph node in melanoma based on radioactive counts
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 9, Issue 9 , pp 929-933
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Sentinel lymph node
- Radioactive counts
- Lymph node basin
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia
- 2. Department of Pathology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia