Analysis of nipple/areolar involvement with mastectomy: Can the areola be preserved?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Skin-sparing mastectomy (SSM), which involves the resection of the nipple/areolar complex with the breast parenchyma, improves the aesthetic outcome for breast cancer patients. Most patients undergoing SSM desire reconstruction of the nipple/areolar complex for symmetry. These data explore the possibility of preserving the areola in selected mastectomy patients.
A retrospective analysis of 217 mastectomy patients was conducted to determine the frequency of malignant nipple and/or areola involvement. The association between nipple and/or areola involvement and prognostic factors, including tumor size, stage, nuclear grade, axillary nodal status, and tumor location, was evaluated.
The overall frequency of malignant nipple involvement was 23 of 217 (10.6%). In a subgroup of patients with tumors <2 cm, peripheral tumors, and with two positive nodes or less, the incidence of nipple involvement was 6.7%. When the nipple and areolar involvement were analyzed separately, only 2 of 217 patients had involvement of the areola (0.9%). All patients with areolar involvement had stage 3 breast cancer and were located centrally in the breast.
We conclude from these data that nipple preservation is not a reasonable option for mastectomy patients. However, preservation of the areola with mastectomy in selected patients warrants further study.
- Toth, BA, Forley, BG, Calabria, R (1999) Retrospective study of the skin-sparing mastectomy in breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 104: pp. 77-84
- Simmons, RM, Kersey Fish, S, Gayle, L (1999) Local and distant recurrence rates in skin-sparing mastectomies compared with nonskin-sparing mastectomies. Ann Surg Oncol 6: pp. 676-81 CrossRef
- Carlson, GW, Bostwick, J, Styblo, TN (1997) Skin-sparing mastectomy. Oncologic and reconstructive considerations. Ann Surg 225: pp. 570-8 CrossRef
- Newman, LA, Kuerer, HM, Hunt, KK (1998) Presentation, treatment, and outcome of local recurrence after skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate breast reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol 5: pp. 620-6 CrossRef
- Riveradeneira, DE, Simmons, RM, Kersey Fish, S (2000) Skin-sparing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction: a critical analysis of local recurrence. Cancer J 6: pp. 331-5
- Laronga, C, Kemp, B, Johnston, D, Robb, G, Singletary, SE (1999) The incidence of occult nipple-areola complex involvement in breast cancer patients receiving skin-sparing mastectomy. Ann Surg Oncol 6: pp. 609-13 CrossRef
- Vyas, JJ, Chinoy, RF, Vaidya, JS (1998) Prediction of nipple and areolar involvement in breast cancer. Eur J Surg Oncol 24: pp. 15-6 CrossRef
- Perry, RG, Cochran, TC, Wolfort, FG (1977) When is there nipple involvement in carcinoma of the breast?. Plast Reconstr Surg 59: pp. 535-7 CrossRef
- Quinn, RH, Barlow, JF (1981) Involvement of the nipple and areola by carcinoma of the breast. Arch Surg 116: pp. 1139-40
- Kissin, MW, Kark, AE (1987) Nipple preservation during mastectomy. Br J Surg 74: pp. 58-61
- Andersen, JA, Gram, JB, Pallesen, RM (1981) Involvement of the nipple and areola in breast cancer. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg 15: pp. 39-42
- Smith, J, Payne, WS, Carney, JA (1976) Involvement of the nipple and areola in carcinoma of the breast. Surg Gynecol Obstet 143: pp. 546-8
- Klimberg, VS, Westbrook, KC, Korourian, S (1998) Use of touch preps for diagnosis and evaluation of surgical margins in breast cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 5: pp. 220-6 CrossRef
- Cox, CE, Ku, NN, Reintgen, DS, Greenberg, HM, Nicosia, SV, Wangensteen, S (1991) Touch preparation cytology of breast lumpectomy margins with histologic correlation. Arch Surg 126: pp. 490-3
- Ku, NN, Cox, CE, Reintgen, DS, Greenberg, HM, Nicosia, SV (1990) Cytology of lumpectomy specimens. Acta Cytol 35: pp. 417-21
- Analysis of nipple/areolar involvement with mastectomy: Can the areola be preserved?
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 165-168
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Areola preservation
- Skin-sparing mastectomy
- Nipple involvement
- Breast reconstruction
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, 425 E. 61st St., 8th Floor, 10021, New York, New York
- 2. The New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York
- 3. Strang Weill Cornell Breast Center, New York, New York
- 4. Department of Public Health, Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York
- 5. Weill Medical College of Cornell University, New York, New York