Performance evaluation of a dual-energy X-ray bone densitometer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We tested a dual-energy bone densitometer (LUNAR DPX) that uses a stable x-ray generator and a K-edge filter to achieve the two energy levels. A conventional scintillation detector in pulse-counting mode was used together with a gain stabilizer. The densitometer normally performs spine and femur scans in about 6 minutes and 3 minutes, respectively, with adequate spatial resolution (1.2×1.2mm). Total body scans take either 10 minutes or 20 minutes. The long-term (6 months, n=195) precision of repeat measurement on an 18-cm thick spine phantom was 0.6% at the medium speed. Precision errorin vivo was about 0.6, 0.9 and 1.5% for spine scans (L2-L4) at slow, medium and fast speeds, while the error was 1.2 and 1.5 to 2.0%, respectively, for femur scans at slow and medium speed. The precision of total body bone density was 0.5%in vitro andin vivo. The response to increasing amounts of calcium hydroxyapatite was linear (r=0.99). The densitometer accurately indicated (within 1%) the actual amount of hydroxyapatite after correction for physiological amounts of marrow fat. The measured area corresponded exactly (within 0.5%) to that of known annuli and to the radiographic area of spine phantoms. There was no significant effect of tissue thickness on mass, area, or areal density (BMD) between 10 and 24cm of water. The BMD values for both spine and femurin vivo correlated highly (r=0.98, SEE=.03 g/cm2) with those obtained using conventional153Gd DPA. Similarly, total body BMD correlated highly (r=0.96, SEE=.02g/cm2) with DPA results.
- Jacobson B. X-ray spectrophotometryin vivo.Am J Roentgen. 91:202–210; 1964.
- Gustafsson L, Jacobson B, Kusoffsky L. X-ray spectrophotometry for bone-mineral determinations.Med and Biol Engin 12:113–118; 1974.
- Reiss KH, Killig K, Schuster W. Dual photon x-ray beam applications. In:International Conference on Bone Mineral Measurement. RB Mazess (ed), Chicago, Il, Oct. 12–13, 1973, pp. 80–87.
- Pacifici R, Rupich R, Vered I, Fischer KC, Griffin M, Susman N, Avioli LV. Dual energy radiography (DER): A preliminary comparative study.Calcif Tissue Int 43:189–191; 1988.
- Wahner HW, Dunn ML, Brown ML, Hauser MF, Morin R. Comparison of Quantitative digital radiography (QDR) and dual-photon absorptiometry (DPA) for bone mineral measurements of the L-spine. In:Bone Mineral Measurement by Photon Absorptiometry., J Dequeker, P Geusens, H Wahner (ed), Leuven University Press, pp 419–426, 1988.
- Kelly TL, Slovik DM, Schoenfeld DA, Neer RM. Quantitative digital radiography versus dual photon absorptiometry of the lumbar spine.J Clin Endocrinol Metab 67:839–844; 1988. CrossRef
- Schaadt O, Bohr H. Bone mineral by dual photon absorptiometry. Accuracy precision sites of measurements. In:Non-Invasive Bone Measurements Methodological Problems, J Dequeker and CC Johnston (eds), IRL Press, Oxford, 1981, pp. 59–72.
- Mazess RB, Hanson J, Sorenson J and Barden HS. Accuracy and precision of dual-photon absorptiometry. In:Proceedings of the Second International Workshop on Non-Invasive Bone Measurements. J Dequeker (ed), 1988, Leuven Press.
- Wahner HW, Dunn WL, Mazess RB, Towsley M, Lindsay R, Markhard L, Dempster D. Dual-photon Gd-153 absorptiometry of bone.Radiology 156:203–206; 1985.
- Burgess AE, Colborne B, Zoffmann E. Vertebral trabecular bone: Comparison of single and dual-energy CT measurements with chemical analysis.J Comput Assist Tomogr. 11:506–515; 1987. CrossRef
- Gluer CC, Reiser UJ, Davis CA, Rutt BK, Genant HK. Vertebral mineral determination by quantitative computed tomography (QCT): Accuracy of single and dual energy measurements.J Comput Assist Tomogr 12:242–258; 1988. CrossRef
- Laval-Jeantet AM, Roger B, Bouysse Ing S, Bergot C, Mazess RB. Influence of vertebral fat content on quantitative CT density.Radiology 159:463–466; 1986.
- Vetter JR, Perman WH, Kalender WA, Mazess RB, Holden JE. Evaluation of a prototype dual-energy computed tomographic apparatus. II. Determination of vertebral bone mineral content.Med Phys 13:340–343; 1986. CrossRef
- Rao GU, Yaghmai I, Wist AO, Arora G. Systematic errors in bone-mineral measurements by quantitative computed tomography.Med Phys 14:62–69; 1987. CrossRef
- Sorenson JA, Hanson JA, Mazess RB. Precision and accuracy of dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry.J Bone Miner Res 3:S126; 1988.
- Mazess RB, Sorenson JA, Hanson JA, Collick BD, Smith SW. Dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA). From: EFJ Ring (ed)Osteoporosis: Bone Mineral Measurement, Bath, UK, 1988.
- Mazess RB, Sorenson JA, Hanson JA. Performance of an x-ray dual-photon scanner. In:Bone Mineral Measurement by Photon Absorptiometry., J Dequeker, P Geusen, H Wahner (ed), Leuven University Press, pp 415–418, 1988.
- Performance evaluation of a dual-energy X-ray bone densitometer
Calcified Tissue International
Volume 44, Issue 3 , pp 228-232
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors