Circumcision with the plastibell device a long-term follow-up
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Indications for operation, immediate postoperative morbidity and complications were recorded in 43 patients circumcised with the Plastibell device. Questionnaires were used in recording late postoperative morbidity and complications during the mean observation period of 29 months, and were followed by a clinical and cosmetic assessment. No serious complications were encountered. Compared to classical dissection techniques, dysuria is a prominent feature using the Plastibell device. The Plastibell method leaves a varying amount of foreskin intact, which could well explain why meatal ulcers/stenosis are not seen when employing this method. In areas with low hygienic standards we cannot recommend the method since the ability of retaining smegma must still be present. Used on medical grounds, the method is preferable, as it leaves some of the foreskin intact and is quick and simple to perform.
- Galatius, H., Söndergaard, J. O.: Circumcision with the Plastibell device.Ugeskr. Laeger., 143, 818 (1981).
- Holmlund, D.: Circumcision—a surgical intervention with very old tradition (in Swedish).Läkartidningen, 32, 3612 (1972).
- Ladegaard-Pedersen, H.: Aspects of circumcision (in Swedish).Manedsskr Prakt. Laegegern., July, 285 (1963).
- Kariher, D. H., Smith, T. W.: Immediate circumcision of the newborn.Obstet. Gynecol., 7, 50 (1956).
- Blencke, B.: Circumcision mit einem Plastikgerät.Z. Kinderchir., 9, 420 (1970).
- Fraser, I. A., Allen, M. J., Bagshaw, P. F., Johnstone, M.: A randomized trial to assess childhood circumcision with the Plastibell device compared to a conventional dissection technique.Br. J. Surg., 68, 593 (1981).
- Oster, J.: Further fate of the foreskin.Arch. Dis. Childh., 43, 200 (1968). CrossRef
- Leitch, I. O. W.: Circumcision—a continuing enigma.Aust. Paediatr. J., 6, 59 (1970).
- Patel, H.: The problem of routine circumcision.Can. Med. Assoc. J., 95, 576 (1966).
- Holmlund, D.: Dorsal incision of the prepuce and skin closure with dexon in patients with phimosis.Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol., 7, 97 (1972). CrossRef
- Circumcision with the plastibell device a long-term follow-up
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 159-166
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links