Is apolipoprotein-(a) an important indicator of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We aimed to investigate whether high peripheral and cavernosal plasma levels of apolipoprotein-(a) [Lp (a)] is an indicator for vasculogenic erectile dysfunction. We determined Lp (a), total cholesterol (TC), triglyceride (TG) and high density lipoprotein (HDL) levels in peripheral and cavernosal blood in 39 patients with erectile dysfunction. Thirty-nine impotent patients have been divided into two groups: vasculogenic erectile dysfunction (VED) and nonvasculogenic erectile dysfunction (NVED), according to colour Doppler ultrasonic flowmetry, dynamic infusion cavernosometry, and the pressure difference between the brachial arterial systolic pressure and cavernosal arterial systolic pressure measurements. Biochemical values were compared in both groups. Lp (a) and TC levels were higher in both peripheral and cavernosal samples of VED group than in NVED group, with no differences between peripheral and cavernosal blood levels within the same groups. There were no significant changes in TG and HDL levels in either group. The detection of more than 31 mg/dl in Lp (a) level solely shows the vascular origin with a sensitivity and specificity of 95 and 82.3%, respectively. High Lp (a) levels can be considered an indicator of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction.
- Kostner, G. M. (1992) The role of lipoprotein-(a) in atherogenesis. Klin. Lab. 38: pp. 5-5
- Lue, T. F., Tanagho, E. A. (1987) Physiology of erection and pharmacological management of impotence. J. Urol. 137: pp. 829-829
- Virag, R., Bouilly, P., Frydman, D. (1985) Is impotence an arterial disorder? A study of arterial risk factors in 440 impotent men. Lancet 1: pp. 181-181 CrossRef
- Shabsigh, R., Fishman, I. J., Schum, C., Dunn, J. K. (1991) Cigarette smoking and other vascular risk factors in vasculogenic impotence. Urology 38: pp. 227-227 CrossRef
- Azadzoi, K. M., Tejada, I. S. (1991) Hypercholesterolemia impairs endothelium-dependent relaxation of rabbit corpus cavernosum smooth muscle. J. Urol. 146: pp. 238-238
- Kim, J. H., Klyachkin, M. L., Svendsen, E., Davies, M. G., Hagen, P., Carson, C. C. (1994) Experimental hypercholesterolemia in rabbits induces cavernosal atherosclerosis with endothelial and smooth muscle cell dysfunction. J. Urol. 151: pp. 198-198
- Panza, J. A., Quyyumi, A. A., Brush, J. E. (1990) Abnormal endothelium-dependent vascular relaxation in patients with essential hypertension. N. Engl. J. Med. 323: pp. 22-22 CrossRef
- Jünemann, K.-P., Aufenanger, J., Konrad, T., Pill, J., Berle, B., Persson-Jünemann, C., Alken, P. (1991) The effect of impaired lipid metabolism on the smooth muscle cells of rabbits. Urol. Res. 19: pp. 271-271 CrossRef
- Utermann, G. (1989) The mysteries of lipoprotein-(a). Science 246: pp. 904-904 CrossRef
- Kayigil, Ö., Atahan, Ö., Mein, A. (1995) Dynamic infusion cavernosometry and cavernosography in diagnosing and classifying venoocclusive dysfunction. Int. Urol. Nephrol. 27: pp. 615-615
- Penson, D. F., Seftel, A. D., Krane, R. J., Frohrib, D., Goldstein, I. (1992) The hemodynamic pathophysiology of impotence following blunt trauma to the erect penis. J. Urol. 148: pp. 1171-1171
- Padma-Nathan, H.: Dynamic infusion cavernosometry and cavernosography and the cavernosal artery systolic occlusion pressure gradient: A complete evaluation of the hemodynamic events of a penile erection. Postgraduate course 64. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Urological Association, May 10–14, Washington 1992.
- Michal, V. (1982) Arterial disease as a cause of impotence. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 11: pp. 725-725 CrossRef
- Krane, R. J., Goldstein, I., Saenz, D. T. (1989) Impotence. N. Engl. J. Med. 321: pp. 1648-1648 CrossRef
- Mc Gill, H. C. (1988) The pathogenesis of atherosclerosis. Clin. Chem. 34: pp. 33-33
- Orem, A., Deger, O., Kulan, K., Onder, E., Kiran, E., Uzunosmanoĝlu, D. (1995) Evaluation of lipoprotein-(a) as a risk factor for coronary artery disease in the Turkish population. Clin. Biochem. 28: pp. 171-171 CrossRef
- Wei, M., Macera, C. A., Davis, D. R., Hornung, C. A., Nankin, H. R., Blair, S. N. (1994) Total cholesterol and high density lipoprotein cholesterol as important predictors of erectile dysfunction. Am. J. Epidemiol. 140: pp. 930-930
- Adams, M. R., Kaplan, J. R., Koritnik, D. R., Weaver, D. S., Bond, M. G. (1984) Erectile failure in cynomolgus monkeys with atherosclerosis of the arteries supplying the penis. J. Urol. 131: pp. 571-571
- Wespes, E., Goes, P. M., Schiffmann, S., Depierreux, M., Vanderhaeghen, J. J., Schulman, C. C. (1991) Computerized analysis of smooth muscle fibers in potent and impotent patients. J. Urol. 146: pp. 1015-1015
- Pickard, R. S., King, P., Zar, M. A., Powell, P. H. (1994) Corpus cavernosal relaxation in impotent men. Br. J. Urol. 74: pp. 485-485 CrossRef
- Is apolipoprotein-(a) an important indicator of vasculogenic erectile dysfunction?
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 30, Issue 2 , pp 185-191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors