Kinetics of linoleate oxidation in model systems
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Oxidation of methyl linoleate, trilinoleate and linoleic acid has been studied in model systems based on various solid supports. Oxidation was followed by measurement of oxygen absorption, peroxide values and products of oxidation as a function of moisture equilibrium relative humidity. Effects of various metals, histidine and the antioxidants propyl gallate and butylated hydroxytoluene were studied. The results indicate: (a) at 50 C oxidation of protein increases with increasing moisture content and the protein interacts with peroxides changing the overall oxidation rate; (b) increasing moisture content shows the same inhibitory effect on oxidation of trilinoleate as it does on methyl linoleate; (c) the effectiveness of antioxidants is increased with increasing humidity but some chelating agents complexed with metals become catalytic at the higher moisture content; and (d) at moisture contents in the region of capillary condensation, mobility of reactants is enhanced since the rate of oxidation increases significantly.
- Tarnsma, A., M. Pallansch, T. Mucha and W. Patterson, J. Dairy Sci.44, 1644 (1961). CrossRef
- Marshall, J. B., G. A. Grant and W. H. White, Can. J. Res.,E23, 286 (1945).
- Matz, S., C. S. McWilliams, R. A. Larsen, J. H. Mitchell, M. McMullen and B. Laymen, Food Tech.9, 276 (1955).
- Martin, M. F., J. Food Sci. Food Agr.9, 817 (1958). CrossRef
- Salwin, J., Food Tech.13, 594 (1959).
- Labuza, T. P., Ibid.22, 263 (1968).
- Martinez, F., and T. P. Labuza, J. Food Sci.38, 241 (1964).
- Maloney, J. F., T. P. Labuza, D. H. Wallace and M. Karel, Ibid.31, 878 (1966). CrossRef
- Labuza, T. P., J. F. Maloney and M. Karel, Ibid.33, 885 (1966). CrossRef
- Karel, M., T. P. Labuza and J. F. Maloney, Cryobiology3, 288 (1967). CrossRef
- Kern, V. M., and L. Dulog, J. Makromol. Chem.29, 208 (1959). CrossRef
- Zirlin, A., and M. Karel, J. Food Sci.34, 160 (1969). CrossRef
- Litwack, G., “Experimental Biochemistry,” J. Wiley and Sons, New York 1960, p. 145.
- Karel, M., S. Tannenbaum, D. Wallace and H. Maloney, J. Food Sci.31, 892 (1966). CrossRef
- Chalk, A. J., and J. F. Smith, Trans Faraday Soc.53, 1235 (1957). CrossRef
- Tappel, A. L., Arch. Biochem. Biophys.54, 266 (1955). CrossRef
- Mabrouk, A. F., and L. R. Dugan, JAOCS37, 486 (1960).
- Raghuveen, K. G., and E. G. Hammond, Ibid.44, 239 (1967).
- El-Gharbawi, M., and L. R. Dugan, J. Food Sci.30, 817 (1965). CrossRef
- Kinetics of linoleate oxidation in model systems
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 46, Issue 8 , pp 409-416
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors