Enzymatic interesterification of tallow-sunflower oil mixtures
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In an effort to improve the physical and/or thermal characteristics of solid fats, the enzymatic interesterification of tallow and butterfat with high-oleic sunflower oil and soybean oil was investigated. The two simultaneously occurring reactions, interesterification and hydrolysis, were followed by high-performance liquid chromatography of altered glycerides and by gas-liquid chromatography of liberated free fatty acids. The enzymes used in these studies were immobilized lipases that included either a 1,3-acyl-selective lipase or acis-9-C18-selective lipase. The degree of hydrolysis of the fat/oil mixtures was dependent upon the initial water content of the reaction medium. The extent of the interesterification reaction was dependent on the amount of enzyme employed but not on the reaction temperature over the range of 50–70°C. Changes in melting characteristics of the interesterified glyceride mixtures were followed by differential scanning calorimetry of the residual mixed glycerides after removal of free fatty acids. Interesterification of the glyceride mixes with the two types of enzymes allowed for either a decrease or increase in the solid fat content of the initial glyceride mix.
- Mukherjee, K.D. (1992) Fette Wissenschaft Technol. 94: pp. 542-542 CrossRef
- Kalo, P., Huotari, H., Antila, M. (1989) Fat Sci. Technol. 91: pp. 276-276
- Lazar, G. (1985) Fette Seifen Anstrichm. 87: pp. 394-394 CrossRef
- Elliott, J.M., Parkin, K.L. (1991) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 68: pp. 171-171
- Hansen, T.T., and P. Eigtved, inProceedings of World Conference on Emerging Technologies in the Fats and Oils Industry, edited by A. R. Baldwin, American Oil Chemists’ Society, 1986, p. 365.
- Eigtved, P., Eur. Patent EP 140542 (1985).
- Chang, M.F., Abraham, G., John, V.T. (1990) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 67: pp. 831-831
- Bloomer, S., Adlercreutz, P., Mattiasson, B. (1990) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 67: pp. 519-519
- Ergan, F., Trani, M., Andre, G. (1991) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 68: pp. 412-412
- Forssell, P., Kervinen, R., Lappi, M., Linko, P., Suortti, T., Poutanen, K. (1992) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 69: pp. 126-126
- Marks, T.A., Quinn, J.G., Sampugna, J., Jensen, R.G. (1968) Lipids 3: pp. 143-143 CrossRef
- Jensen, R.G., Rubano Galluzzo, D., Bush, V.J. (1990) Biocatalysis 3: pp. 307-307
- Sonnet, P.E., Gazzillo, J.A. (1991) J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 68: pp. 11-11
- Marmer, W.N., Maxwell, R.J. (1981) Lipids 16: pp. 365-365 CrossRef
- Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, 3rd edn., edited by R.O. Walker, American Oil Chemists’ Society, Champaign, 1980.
- Enzymatic interesterification of tallow-sunflower oil mixtures
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 70, Issue 3 , pp 281-285
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- melting points
- soy oil
- sunflower oil
- Industry Sectors