Extraction and refining of oil from amaranth seed
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Oil was extracted with hexane on a pilot plant scale from seeds ofAmaranthus cruentus after the seeds were subjected to an efficient abrasive milling. Optimum conditions were then determined for refining and bleaching this oil. The yellow oil obtained is similar in appearance and composition to corn oil, but comparison with previously published analyses reveals a considerable variation in the content of the principal fatty acids, palmitic, oleic and linoleic, although the squalene content (5–8%) was in the expected range.
- Saunders, R.M., and R. Becker, inAdvances in Cereal Science and Technology, Vol. 6, edited by Y. Pomeranz, Am. Assoc. of Cereal Chemists, St. Paul, MN, 1984, pp. 357–396.
- Amaranth: Modern Prospects for an Ancient Crop, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC, 1983.
- Vietmeyer, N.,Ceres 155:43 (1982).
- Pal, M., and T.N. Khoshoo, inEvolutionary Studies in World Crops, edited by J. Hutchinson, Cambridge Univ. Press, New York, 1974, pp. 129–137.
- Becker, R., E.L. Wheeler, K. Lorenz, A.E. Stafford, O.K. Grosjean, A.A. Betschart and R.M. Saunders,J. Food Sci. 46:1175 (1981). CrossRef
- Lorenz, K.,Staerke 33:149 (1981).
- Opute, F.I.,J. Exp. Botany 30:601 (1979).
- Fernando, T., and G. Bean,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 62:89 (1985).
- Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, AOCS, Champaign, IL, 1973.
- Sayre, R.N., D.K. Nayyar and R.M. Saunders,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 62:1040 (1985). CrossRef
- Richardson, L.L., Ibid.:777 (1978).
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis, 13th Ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, 1980, pp. 211–222, 447.
- Betschart, A.A., D.W. Irving, A.D. Shepherd and R.M. Saunders,J. Food Sci. 46:1181 (1981). CrossRef
- Becker, R., D.W. Irving and R.M. Saunders,Food Sci. Technol, in press.
- Extraction and refining of oil from amaranth seed
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 64, Issue 2 , pp 233-236
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors