Characteristics and composition of melon and grape seed oils and cakes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Watermelon (Citrullus vulgaris) and grape (Vitis vinifera) seeds were investigated for their nutritional quality and oil characteristics. The yields of seeds on an as is basis (edible portion) were 1.6 and 1.8% for grape and melon, respectively. The melonseed on a dry weight basis consisted of 53.6% testa and 46.4% kernel. The crude protein, fat and fiber content were 16.4, 23.1 and 47.7% for melon and 8.2, 14.0 and 38.6% for grape (dry weight basis). Both seeds were found to contain significant levels of Ca, Mg, P and K. The fatty acid profiles showed an unsaturated fatty acid content of 76.1% for melonseed oil and 88.6% for grapeseed oil. The predominant fatty acid in both seeds was linoleic acid. The iodine value, saponification number and acid value were 116, 248 and 0.97 for melonseed oil and 132, 194 and 1.59 for grapeseed oil. The amino acid profiles of both seed cake proteins were determined and compared with hen’s egg protein.
- Amerine, M.A., H.W. Berg and W.V. Cruess, The Technology of Winemaking. 2nd ed. AVI Pub. Co., Westport, Connecticut (1968).
- Rice, A.C., Am. J. Enol. Viticult. 27:21 (1976).
- Fantozzi, P., and A.A. Betschart, JAOCS 56:457 (1979).
- Girgis, P., and F. Said, J. Sci. Fd. Agric. 19:615 (1968). CrossRef
- AOAC, Official Methods of Analysis, 12th ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC (1975).
- Kamel, B.S., J. Food Quality 5:139 (1982).
- Folch, J., M. Lees and G. Stanley, J. Biol. Chem. 226:497 (1957).
- Shehata, A.Y., J.M. deMan and G.C. Alexander, Can. Inst. Food Sci. Technol. J. 3:85 (1970).
- Official and Tentative Methods of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, AOCS, 3rd ed., AOCS, Champaign, IL (1974).
- Fazio, G., V. Cilluffo, M.C. Indovina and L. Pirrone, Riv. Soc. Ital. Sci. Aliment. 11:349 (1982).
- Oyenuga, V.A., and B.L. Fetuga, J. Sci. Fd. Agric. 26:843 (1975). CrossRef
- Castriotta, G., and M. Canella, J. Agric. Food Chem. 26:763 (1978). CrossRef
- Corrao, A., JAOCS 56:460 (1979).
- Gattuso, A.M., G. Fazio and V. Cilluffo, Riv. Soc. Ital. Sci. Aliment. 12:47 (1983).
- Mattick, L.R., and A.C. Rice, Am. J. Enol. Viticult. 27:88 (1976).
- Kinsella, J.E., Food Technol. 28:58 (1974).
- Chowdhury, D.K., M.M. Chakrabarty and B.K. Mukherji, JAOCS 32:384 (1955).
- Earle, F.R., E.H. Melvin, L.H. Mason, C.H. VanEtten and I.A. Wolff, Ibid. 36:304 (1959).
- Kwolek, W.F., and C.H. VanEtten, J. Agr. Food Chem. 16:496 (1968). CrossRef
- VanEtten, C.H., W.F. Kwolek, J.E. Peters and A.S. Barclay, Ibid. 15:1077 (1967). CrossRef
- VanEtten, C.H., R.W. Miller, I.A. Wolff and Q. Jones, Ibid. 11:399 (1963). CrossRef
- Characteristics and composition of melon and grape seed oils and cakes
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 62, Issue 5 , pp 881-883
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors