Margarines: A rheological study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Time-dependent flow properties of both commercial and pilot plant-made margarines were characterized under steady shear. Flow curves were fitted to the kinetic expression τ = τ i +a e −k1t +b e −k2t . A first-order kinetic model did not describe the observed destruction process of the margarine structure in an adequate manner. In the proposed model, two structures with different destruction rates are postulated. Each structure contributes to a part of the shear stress necessary to deform the margarine sample. The parameters τ i a andb are temperature-dependent. Decreasing temperatures produce an exponential increase of τ i , a linear increase ofb and an increase ofa up to a point beyond which it remains constant. A physical interpretation of the model is proposed. The role of the aqueous phase was also studied. Greater hardness was detected at higher water content. Parameter τ i increased, at any selected temperature, with increasing aqueous phase content of the sample. Parametera increased with decreasing temperatures and higher water content. On the other hand, parameterb was not affected by the amount of aqueous phase. This kinetic model could be employed to perform studies on the influence of different parameters of margarine formulation on its rheologic behavior.
- Davis, S.S.,J. Texture Stu. 4:15 (1973).
- Figoni, P.I., and C.F. Shoemaker, Ibid.:431 (1983).
- Vaisey-Genser M., B.K. Vane and S. Johnson, Ibid.:347 (1989).
- Teasdale, B.F., G.F. Helmel and C.E. Swindells,Proceedings of International Conference on Scientific Technology and Marketing of Rapeseed and Rapeseed Products, Rapeseed Association of Canada, 1970, pp. 190–202.
- De Man, J.M.,Proceedings of 1st International Congress Food Science Technology, London, 1962, pp. 795–806.
- Haighton, A.J.,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 42:201 (1965).
- Van Den Tempel, M.,J. Coll. Sci. 16:284 (1961). CrossRef
- Bailey, A.E.,Melting and Solidification of Fats, Interscience Publishers, New York, 1950, p. 4.
- Stern, P.,J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 53:644 (1976).
- Green, H., and R.N. Weitmann,Ind. Eng. Chem. 15:201 (1943). CrossRef
- Andrade, C.,Nature 125:309 (1930).
- Margarines: A rheological study
Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
Volume 72, Issue 3 , pp 375-378
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Different water contents
- mathematical model
- physical interpretation
- thixotropic behavior
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Molinos Río de La Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2. Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos (CIDCA), Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, Calle 47 y 116 (1900), La Plata, Argentina