Oxysterols in cultured bovine aortic smoth muscle cells and in the monocyte-like cell line U937
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Oxysterols in cultured bovine aortic smooth muscle cells and in the monocyte-like cell line U937 were analyzed by gas-liquid chromatography. The following products were detected: 7α- and 7β-hydroxycholesterol, 7-ketocholesterol, cholesterol-α-epoxide, cholesterol-β-epoxide, cholestanetriol, and 20- and 25-hydroxycholesterol. The proportions of oxidized cholesterol varied from 1 to 3% of total cholesterol. The concentrations of oxysterols were lower when the smooth muscle cells were maintained in a vitamin E-enriched medium, and were higher in U937 cells when the cells were activated with phorbol myristate acetate. The cell oxysterol content appears to be regulated by factors that inhibit or enhanced free radical generation. The concentrations of oxysterols found in cells may serve as an indicator of the extent of lipid peroxidation.
- Halliwell, B. (1987)FASEB J. 1, 358–364.
- Freeman, B.A., and Crapo, J.D. (1982)Lab. Invest. 47, 412–426.
- Bachowski, G.J., Thomas, J.P., and Girotti, A.W. (1988)Lipids 23, 580–586. CrossRef
- Thomas, J.P., and Girotti, A.W. (1988)Biochim. Biophys. Acta 962, 297–307.
- Wu, G.S., Stein, R.A., Mead, J.F., and Mustafa, M.G. (1988) inLipid Peroxidation in Biological Systems (Sevanian, A., ed.) pp. 129–143, American Oil Chemists' Society, Champaign.
- Pie, J.E., Spahis, K., and Seillan, C. (1990)J. Agric. Food Chem. 38, 973–979. CrossRef
- Hennig, B., and Boissonneault, G.A. (1987)Atherosclerosis 68, 255–261. CrossRef
- Seillan, C., and Dubuquoy, C. (1990)Prost. Leuk. Ess. Fatty Acids 39, 11–18. CrossRef
- Seillan, C. (1990)Lipids 25, 172–176.
- Folch, J., Lees, M., and Sloane-Stanley, G.H. (1957)J. Biol. Chem. 226, 497–509.
- Cathcart, M.K., Chilsom, G.M., MacNally, A.K., and Morel, D.W. (1988)In Vitro 24, 1001–1008.
- Simpson, J.A., Cheeseman, K.H., Smith, S.E., and Dean, R.T. (1988)Biochem. J. 254, 519–523.
- Richert, L., Castagna, M., Beck, J.P., Rong, S., Luu, B., and Ourisson, G. (1984)Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 120, 192–198. CrossRef
- Chen, H.W., Heiniger, H.J., and Kandutsch, A.A. (1978)J. Biol. Chem. 253, 3180–3185.
- Boissoneault, G.A., and Heiniger, H.J. (1985)J. Cell Physiol. 125, 471–475. CrossRef
- Seiler, D., and Fiehn, W. (1976)Experientia 32, 849–850. CrossRef
- Oxysterols in cultured bovine aortic smoth muscle cells and in the monocyte-like cell line U937
Volume 27, Issue 4 , pp 270-274
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors