Autoxidation of cholesterol in tallows heated under deep frying conditions: Evaluation of oxysterols by GLC and TLC-FID
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The products of cholesterol autoxidation (oxysterols) in heated animal food fat were determined qualitatively and quantitatively to evaluate their toxicity and those of the foods in which they occur. Samples of beef tallow were taken from deep-fat fryers while they were in use. The oxysterols were identified and assayed by gas liquid chromatography and thin layer chromatography on Chromarods with flame ionization detection (TLC-FID). The two methods were compared and the TLC-FID method was found more convenient for a rapid estimation of autoxidation. Of the original cholesterol, 25% was destroyed during cooking and partly transformed into 3β-5-6β-trihydroxy-5α-cholestane, 7α-hydroxy-, 7β-hydroxy-, 7-oxo-cholesterol, 7-oxo-cholesta-3-5-diene and cholesterol epoxides. Certain other oxysterols were present in smaller quantities.
- Smith, L.L. (1981) inCholesterol Autoxidation, pp. 49–62, Plenum Press, New York and London.
- Korahani, V., Bascoul, J., and Crastes de Paulet, A. (1982)Lipids 17, 703–708.
- Smith, L.L. (1981) inCholesterol Autoxidation, pp. 381–382, Plenum Press, New York and London.
- Imaï, H., Subramanyan, V., Lequesne, P.W., and Werthessen, N.T. (1978)Fed. Proc. 37, 934–939.
- Peng, S.L., Taylor, C.B., Tham, P., Werthessen, N.T., and Mikkelson, B. (1978)Arch. Path. Lab. Med. 102, 57–61.
- Smith, L.L., Smart, V.B., and Ansari, G.A.S. (1979)Mutat. Res. 68, 23–31. CrossRef
- Ansari, G.A.S., Walker, R.D., Smart, V.B., and Smith, L.L. (1982)Fed. Chem. Toxic. 20, 35–41. CrossRef
- Smith, L.L. (1981) inCholesterol Autoxidation, pp. 390–421, Plenum Press, New York and London.
- Benditt, E.P. (1977)Am. J. Path. 86, 693–698.
- Gryglewski, R.J. (1980) inInternational Symposium on Atherosclerosis (Gotto, A.M., Smith, L.C., and Allen, B., eds), pp. 763–765, Springer-Verlag, New York.
- Imaï, H., Werthessen, N.T., Subramanyan, V., Lequesne, P.W., Soloway, A.H., and Kanisawa, M. (1980)Science 207, 651–653. CrossRef
- Taylor, C.B., Peng, S.L., Hill, J.C., and Mikkelson, B. (1980)Fed. Proc. 39, 771, abstract no. 2654.
- Peng, S.K., Taylor, C.B., Mosbach, E.H., Allang, W.Y., Hill, J., and Mikkelson, B. (1982)Atherosclerosis 41, 395–402. CrossRef
- Bascoul, J., Domergue, N., and Crastes de Paulet, A. (1983)J. Steroid Biochem. 19, 1779–1782. CrossRef
- Ackman, R.G. (1985)J. Chromatogr. 323, 410–413. CrossRef
- Korahani, V., Bascoul, J., and Crastes de Paulet, A. (1981)J. Chromatogr. 211, 392–397. CrossRef
- Waltking, A.E., and Wessels, H. (1981)J. Assoc. Anal. Chem. 64, 1329–1330.
- Craven, B.M. (1976)Nature 260, 727–729. CrossRef
- Beckwith, A.L.J. (1958)Proc. Chem. Soc. 2, 194–195.
- Autoxidation of cholesterol in tallows heated under deep frying conditions: Evaluation of oxysterols by GLC and TLC-FID
Volume 21, Issue 6 , pp 383-387
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. INSERM Unité 58, 60, rue de Navacelles, 34100, Montpellier, France
- 2. Laboratoire Interrégional de la Direction de la Consommation et de la Repression des Fraudes, 2, rue Saint Pierre, 34000, Montpellier, France